Please consider checking the Acer support website, specific to your device, and update the Bios if ava (while the device is stable). Afterwards, please consider trying a Clean Install with a 'Current' Media Creation Tool Build (removing all partitions during the Tools Win10 installation).
Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly
Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
60 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2018-03-24T13:25:00+00:00 Its the latest version of windows 10 thats causing the issue. Not home at the moment so can't look up specs. Its an Acer Aspire tower sold to me as a Windows 10 device. Dunno if that helps. Thanks for at least trying to find my problem it is appreciated.
-
Monkey57 3,535 Reputation points
2018-03-24T12:17:48+00:00 "It's an older version I made a while back that I used without issue" -> Have you tried to install with a new current Media Creation Tool media? I respect some older devices may have compatibility issue, what is the make and model of your device.
-
Anonymous
2018-03-23T02:38:54+00:00 It's an older version I made a while back that I used without issue previously. Yes issue still occurs and no I don't sync. Registry hack does stop it but so does stopping windows update. Given how I use that computer I am quite happy doing just that, I also get visual display settings that the creators update removes so win win for me. ,
-
Monkey57 3,535 Reputation points
2018-03-22T20:01:32+00:00 "Allowed windows update to run after creators update installed issue reoccurred." -> I was confused, as the media creation tool, should have installed the most recent version of Windows 10 (1709) (Fall Creators Update). What is the "update installed issue" that reoccurred?
"my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page" -> is this still the issue you have occurring? Do you sync your Firefox setting with Firefox "Sync now"?
from another thread:
"I went ahead with a registry hack." ->was that resolving another issue....