Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly

Anonymous
2018-03-13T12:34:08+00:00

Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

60 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-12T06:13:21+00:00

    Doesn't apply to my situation as this pc doesn't have wifi cheers for the idea.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-11T14:45:03+00:00

    Try doing this:

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43491861/how-to-disable-automatically-browser-opening-on-wi-fi-hotspot-connection-for-win

    If you don't want to disable that, then see my previous post for why this is happening.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-11T10:18:34+00:00

    has anyone found the cause of this msn/default browser issue or a solution that doesnt involve a registry hack or installing a pre anniversary update of windows with windows update disabled? greg oh wise master do you understand the issue and can you actually help? it would be nice if i could keep my computer up to date.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-08T07:22:27+00:00

    sorry i cant remember been to long I found it pretty easily with a google search on a non microsoft thread. To get around this i'm running a pre anniversary  update version of windows 10 and have disabled windows update on that pc. ive had zero issues doing this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-07T08:10:17+00:00

    could you please share the registry hack you used to resolve the issue.. i am having the same issue and it is frustrating. thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments