Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly

Anonymous
2018-03-13T12:34:08+00:00

Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

60 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-22T06:33:34+00:00

    Hi,

    what I did was

    1. scan with malwarebytes and adwcleaner got two suspicious files and deleted them.
    2. Then scanned whole computer with Kaspersky antivirus. Got nothing suspicious by that scan.

    Whatever I set as default web browser whether that be Google Chrome or Mozilla firefox they are keep opening new window and if you want count I cannot provide you because they are uncountable. Whenever I am trying to open task manager to kill the browser process, those browsers overlap my screen replicating more web browser window. Being frustrated I,

    1. deleted all the partition of my all HDD(s) and make the partition void.
    2. Made new partitions, installed Windows 8.1 pro again.

    Now Internet Explorer keep opening continuously with fresh installation.

    It is the total scenario now. What should I do now.

    Regards

    Soumyajit

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-12T14:45:04+00:00

    thanks for the ideas

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-12T14:39:39+00:00

    Try changing the registry bit first then, and be sure to reboot after. At least, this is the only windows mechanism I know of that continually tries to hit a Microsoft website periodically, and this shuts that off entirely. If this does get rid of the problem, then yeah, you've got some kind of odd connection present that windows thinks is trapped behind a web portal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-12T06:52:39+00:00

    ok having a look but cant access the link you provided. I'm trying to avoid registry hacks. I only have one web based connection listed on device in question thats for ethernet. could there be a phantom one hiding from me?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-12T06:28:33+00:00

    This is not specific to wifi, wired does captive portals as well, and even then, there need not be an actual captive portal, or even a functional network connection. I'd try the registry change as a first troubleshooting step. Then try disabling all of your network interfaces (connected or not) one by one. Those network connections don't have to represent actual physical network adapters, sometimes they're just drivers, like VPN driver adapters.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments