Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly

Anonymous
2018-03-13T12:34:08+00:00

Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

60 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-10T14:51:17+00:00

    stitches12 - THANK YOU!  After reading your post from 7/11/18, I checked and found that I was connected to both wireless and wired.  I simply disconnected the wireless and that has fixed the problem!  Thanks for taking the time to post this solution.  Ghost - thanks for posting in the first place and keeping the thread going!

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-20T15:39:01+00:00

    Why would i want to install a linux based os. Was this just a piss poor attempt humour?

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-11T08:11:34+00:00

    Don't listen to <unacceptable content removed> To fix this there is 2 options as i see it the first is to look at the posts by stiches12 he seems to be onto it having the actual cause and second you can try what I've done which is to run a pre-anniversary update version of windows 10 and have windows update disabled permanently. Doing the second one my system has worked perfectly, no instability malware etc, for the last 9 months. Just so you know ms support have given up on this issue (they deny it exists) you wont hear back from them on this thread (as usual when they don't understand the problem and the usual answers don't work they just stop replying). great customer service by ms support round of applause please

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more