Web browser keeps opening to msn by itself randomly

Anonymous
2018-03-13T12:34:08+00:00

Hi every now and then with no user interaction my default web browser firefox opens to the msn home page (my home page is google)(this also happens if edge is set as the default browser). It is completely random and comes up over whatever I'm currently doing on my computer stopping me in my tracks this is very annoying. I've run anti virus software and its come up clean, I reloaded my operating and it returned after a few weeks and I haven't added new apps or software that may have caused it. The only thing I've found that may be involved is a system restore point automatically created by windows module installer what its for I have no idea, so I tried a restore point prior to that date and the issue seemed to go away but alas it has returned this time there hasn't been a restore point created by anything that might indicate a change. Any ideas on what be triggering my web browser to open to msn?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

60 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-11T14:45:03+00:00

    Try doing this:

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43491861/how-to-disable-automatically-browser-opening-on-wi-fi-hotspot-connection-for-win

    If you don't want to disable that, then see my previous post for why this is happening.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-31T04:12:32+00:00

    In the case of wifi, this can be fixed by simply disconnecting from the wireless network that has the captive portal. I'd also recommend unchecking the automatically connect option for any wifi network that has a captive portal, otherwise you'll be plagued by this.

    Changing the registry setting is more of a nuclear option, so I recommend against using it unless you don't know what interface windows thinks has a captive portal. What you can try is disabling each network interface one at a time (including software interfaces, like tunnel or VPN interfaces.) Open the change network adapter settings applet (right-click the network icon in your systray, click view network connections, click change adapter settings) then try disabling those one at a time by right-clicking on the adapter icon and clicking disable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-24T13:25:00+00:00

    Its the latest version of windows 10 thats causing the issue. Not home at the moment so can't look up specs. Its an Acer Aspire tower sold to me as a Windows 10 device. Dunno if that helps. Thanks for at least trying to find my problem it is appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Greg Carmack 24,780 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-03-17T06:31:20+00:00

    I told you what to do .  Now do the steps I gave and report back the results if you want help here.

    I help people by the thousands and every one who cooperates and is polite gets their problem solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments