No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

Anonymous
2017-11-17T09:57:52+00:00

I was searching for a solution to my laptop starting by itself after going to sleep mode. I've read a possible solution is disabling "Reboot" task in "UpdateOrchestrator". Unfortunately, when I try to do this I get a message: 


Task Scheduler


The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task.


OK   


I don't know how to get that permission. I opened Task Scheduler as administrator, also Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts says there is one user account and it's type is "Administrator".

I'm on the current version of Windows 10 (the newest Creator's Update or whatever it's called).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-03-13T19:46:31+00:00

I'm having the same problem and I see a solution has been found. Can you post a step by step guide?

First go here to download PsTools. Extract it to a folder on your desktop.

Open Start and type cmd. Right-click the program and choose to run as administrator.

Navigate to the folder where you extracted the tools by typing "cd C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Pstools", replace Username with your username and Pstools with the folder where you extracted the tools.

When you have navigated to the correct folder, copy the following command without the quotes: "psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc".

Open the command window and right click, choose paste. Press enter.

Navigate to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> UpdateOrchestrator.

Right click the task called Reboot and click on Disable.

The task should now be disabled.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-25T04:37:30+00:00

    Very happy to help - the whole business is such a time-wasting pain!

    Here is a site that I found to be very helpful in this area, especially the section entitled "Addendum: Windows 10 ‘Get Updates’ Pop-Up"

    Excerpt from site:

    With Windows 10 Pro and the group policy edit enabled to stop auto updates, it introduces a new nag prompt that can be extremely disruptive. Typically after a few days of a new update being released, auto-update will start to launch a notify pop-up banner once or twice a day. This banner prompt will tab out of any application, fullscreen video, and worst of all, games.

    The banner pop-up takes full control of the user interface, greying out the background, and there is only a single button to click – Get Updates. This will launch Windows update where you’ll be prompted to install everything listed. This will keeping popping up daily until you install the updates, tabbing out in the middle of games or watching a movie – talk about intrusive nagware Microsoft.

    It goes on to describe how to deal with this [words fail me...] feature, which I experienced a few times.

    Some light entertainment....!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-11T15:24:28+00:00

    I'm having the same problem and I see a solution has been found. Can you post a step by step guide?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-15T14:50:18+00:00

    I just did sign up BS just to get on here and say thanks man, this turn on computer crap has been terribly annoying and not being able to disable UpdateOrchestrator on my own PC is beyond infuriating.  But your little instruction list there got the job done.  Thank you sir!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-10T05:41:24+00:00

    Microsoft are useless and want fascistic control of your computer I cannot set up a VPN because these commies want to see what I am doing .

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments