No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

Anonymous
2017-11-17T09:57:52+00:00

I was searching for a solution to my laptop starting by itself after going to sleep mode. I've read a possible solution is disabling "Reboot" task in "UpdateOrchestrator". Unfortunately, when I try to do this I get a message: 


Task Scheduler


The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task.


OK   


I don't know how to get that permission. I opened Task Scheduler as administrator, also Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts says there is one user account and it's type is "Administrator".

I'm on the current version of Windows 10 (the newest Creator's Update or whatever it's called).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-03-13T19:46:31+00:00

I'm having the same problem and I see a solution has been found. Can you post a step by step guide?

First go here to download PsTools. Extract it to a folder on your desktop.

Open Start and type cmd. Right-click the program and choose to run as administrator.

Navigate to the folder where you extracted the tools by typing "cd C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Pstools", replace Username with your username and Pstools with the folder where you extracted the tools.

When you have navigated to the correct folder, copy the following command without the quotes: "psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc".

Open the command window and right click, choose paste. Press enter.

Navigate to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> UpdateOrchestrator.

Right click the task called Reboot and click on Disable.

The task should now be disabled.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-27T08:22:42+00:00

    Hi Hugo,

    This issue may occur if you are not the task's owner nor do you have insufficient right to change the task.

    Only member of Administrators, Backup Operators, or sometimes Server Operators group on the local computer can schedule a task by default.

    Have you tried other troubleshooting steps under this thread? Have you done any recent changes on your computer?

    Kindly let us know so that we can provide appropriate assistance.

    We're looking forward to your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-27T14:42:16+00:00

    Only member of Administrators, Backup Operators, or sometimes Server Operators group on the local computer can schedule a task by default.

    I am trying to update the settings for the "Task Scheduler" and getting this message "The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task." I am a local administrator as shown below.

    Can you provide the steps to add the "Backup Operators" and "Server Operators" to my account?

    PS C:\Users\admin2> net  user  Tom

    User name                    tom

    Full Name

    Comment

    User's comment

    Country/region code          000 (System Default)

    Account active               Yes

    Account expires              Never

    Password last set            2/6/2016 8:40:24 PM

    Password expires             Never

    Password changeable          2/6/2016 8:40:24 PM

    Password required            Yes

    User may change password     Yes

    Workstations allowed         All

    Logon script

    User profile

    Home directory

    Last logon                   1/27/2018 8:55:41 AM

    Logon hours allowed          All

    Local Group Memberships      *Administrators

    Global Group memberships     *None

    The command completed successfully.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-28T17:17:40+00:00

    Unfortunately, I'm running into the same issue, except the reboot task was created by the Local System :/ If I go into properties and turn off "wake computer to run this task", it prompts me for a password to the S-1-5-18 account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-21T19:41:33+00:00

    I have exact the same problem.

    Stupid reboot task. Can not stop it.

    It wakes my computer from hibernation and I can not get rid of it! AAARRGGH.

    Tried a lot that is mentioned in this forum. And it did get me to delete the FILE that is in: 

    C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator

    But the task is still there. Unable to remove or edit.

    Help is VERY MUCH appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments