No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

Anonymous
2017-11-17T09:57:52+00:00

I was searching for a solution to my laptop starting by itself after going to sleep mode. I've read a possible solution is disabling "Reboot" task in "UpdateOrchestrator". Unfortunately, when I try to do this I get a message: 


Task Scheduler


The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task.


OK   


I don't know how to get that permission. I opened Task Scheduler as administrator, also Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts says there is one user account and it's type is "Administrator".

I'm on the current version of Windows 10 (the newest Creator's Update or whatever it's called).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-03-13T19:46:31+00:00

I'm having the same problem and I see a solution has been found. Can you post a step by step guide?

First go here to download PsTools. Extract it to a folder on your desktop.

Open Start and type cmd. Right-click the program and choose to run as administrator.

Navigate to the folder where you extracted the tools by typing "cd C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Pstools", replace Username with your username and Pstools with the folder where you extracted the tools.

When you have navigated to the correct folder, copy the following command without the quotes: "psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc".

Open the command window and right click, choose paste. Press enter.

Navigate to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> UpdateOrchestrator.

Right click the task called Reboot and click on Disable.

The task should now be disabled.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-18T11:05:54+00:00

    I couldn't find "UpdateOrchestrator" just by itself, I found "UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot", went to permissions and gave Full Control to Administrators. I don't know how to change the owner though and I don't know if that's what you meant exactly.

    I then went to Tree's permissions and tried to give full control to Administrators but I got this message:


    Windows Security


    Unable to save permission changes on Tree.

    Access is denied.


    Retry   Cancel   


    and couldn't save changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-18T10:44:30+00:00

    It creates a new empty "UpdateOrchestrator" folder, Triggers, Next Run Times etc. in Task Scheduler are different, but I still can't disable the task. I changed the name of the "UpdateOrchestrator.bad" folder back

    You keep talking about a "folder". Task scheduler items are files, not folders, even though they have no name extension (i.e. no full stop or anything else to the right of the name).

    I suspect the task is protected through its entry in the registry. You need to open the registry editor (regedit.exe), then do this:

    1. Navigate to this key:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks
    2. Find "UpdateOrchestrator", using Ctrl+F. It will be against a key such as

    {AB62362D-3EF5-4BD4-92E1-D96143FD8738} 3. Change the owner of the key to "Administrators" 4. Grant full access to "Administrators".

    You then need to take the same four steps with this key:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-18T09:01:08+00:00

    It creates a new empty "UpdateOrchestrator" folder, Triggers, Next Run Times etc. in Task Scheduler are different, but I still can't disable the task. I changed the name of the "UpdateOrchestrator.bad" folder back and the values changed back to the old ones,

    but I still can't do anything. I tried to make a new folder inside Task Scheduler in the same "UpdateOrchestrator" folder just to see what would happen and it also said 


    Task Scheduler


    Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))


    OK   


    but I had no problem making a new folder inside a different folder. (UNP) BUT I also seem to can't disable Tasks from other folders (or at least UNP)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-17T16:21:35+00:00

    It's brutal but I would check what happens when you rename the file

    UpdateOrchestrator

    to

    UpdateOrchestrator.bad

    The process is, of course, reversible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments