No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

Anonymous
2017-11-17T09:57:52+00:00

I was searching for a solution to my laptop starting by itself after going to sleep mode. I've read a possible solution is disabling "Reboot" task in "UpdateOrchestrator". Unfortunately, when I try to do this I get a message: 


Task Scheduler


The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task.


OK   


I don't know how to get that permission. I opened Task Scheduler as administrator, also Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts says there is one user account and it's type is "Administrator".

I'm on the current version of Windows 10 (the newest Creator's Update or whatever it's called).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-03-13T19:46:31+00:00

I'm having the same problem and I see a solution has been found. Can you post a step by step guide?

First go here to download PsTools. Extract it to a folder on your desktop.

Open Start and type cmd. Right-click the program and choose to run as administrator.

Navigate to the folder where you extracted the tools by typing "cd C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Pstools", replace Username with your username and Pstools with the folder where you extracted the tools.

When you have navigated to the correct folder, copy the following command without the quotes: "psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc".

Open the command window and right click, choose paste. Press enter.

Navigate to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> UpdateOrchestrator.

Right click the task called Reboot and click on Disable.

The task should now be disabled.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-11T02:04:02+00:00

    Same issue. I tried all the permission changes Frederik recommended and disabled the Windows Update service in Sys Config. After a reboot I stopped getting the original error ("The user account you are operating under... etc") and the Reboot task is now labeled as Disabled. I'm assuming this solved the issue for now.

    As an extra measure I tried to disable the "One time" trigger within the Reboot task. When I uncheck the "Enabled" button it asks for login credentials for a user called "S-1-5-18". (???) My admin password does not work and changing the user to admin doesn't work either but encounters an error each time. Any idea what this is or how I can get permission to disable a trigger?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-23T18:53:29+00:00

    Hi,

    You mentioned that you already have full control of the file's property, can you try to disable the task while in clean boot.

    Clean boot helps eliminate conflicts between software. Kindly refer to the article below on how to do a clean boot.

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows

    Let us know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-18T12:00:44+00:00

    I used the command and when I try to change permissions for Tree, it still shows the same message, it still doesn't allow me to disable the task in Task Scheduler.

    Thank you for anyway trying to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-18T11:22:30+00:00

    I couldn't find "UpdateOrchestrator" just by itself, I found "UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot".

    It now seems that the name of the task is "Reboot", not "Update Orchestrator". This could mean that you never changed the task's access permissions! The correct command should have been

    cacls  "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator"  /T /g administrators:F  system:F

    The registry hack might still be necessary. Unfortunately I do not have the time to compose a full set of instructions on how to change the ownership of registry keys. You either need to do your own research on the net or else let me do it for you by you giving me remote access to your machine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments