No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

Anonymous
2017-11-17T09:57:52+00:00

I was searching for a solution to my laptop starting by itself after going to sleep mode. I've read a possible solution is disabling "Reboot" task in "UpdateOrchestrator". Unfortunately, when I try to do this I get a message: 


Task Scheduler


The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task.


OK   


I don't know how to get that permission. I opened Task Scheduler as administrator, also Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts says there is one user account and it's type is "Administrator".

I'm on the current version of Windows 10 (the newest Creator's Update or whatever it's called).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-03-13T19:46:31+00:00

I'm having the same problem and I see a solution has been found. Can you post a step by step guide?

First go here to download PsTools. Extract it to a folder on your desktop.

Open Start and type cmd. Right-click the program and choose to run as administrator.

Navigate to the folder where you extracted the tools by typing "cd C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Pstools", replace Username with your username and Pstools with the folder where you extracted the tools.

When you have navigated to the correct folder, copy the following command without the quotes: "psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc".

Open the command window and right click, choose paste. Press enter.

Navigate to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> UpdateOrchestrator.

Right click the task called Reboot and click on Disable.

The task should now be disabled.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-03T17:27:28+00:00

    Thank you very much, this worked and fixed my issue of administrative rights! I still can't believe how forced I am to install updates and reboot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-10T17:09:37+00:00

    THANK YOU!!! I don't know why Microsoft makes it so difficult to take control of your own PC. If they could find a way to reboot the PC and return all the open applications to the state they were in prior, I'd have no problem, but I have many open applications and can't afford to close and reopen then every time M$ decides I need an update. This has been driving me crazy, as my PC will wake up in the middle of the night and just sit there idling, wasting electricity (which is NOT cheap!). Will M$ reimburse me of all the power it's wasted?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-10T05:41:24+00:00

    Microsoft are useless and want fascistic control of your computer I cannot set up a VPN because these commies want to see what I am doing .

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-15T14:50:18+00:00

    I just did sign up BS just to get on here and say thanks man, this turn on computer crap has been terribly annoying and not being able to disable UpdateOrchestrator on my own PC is beyond infuriating.  But your little instruction list there got the job done.  Thank you sir!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments