No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

Anonymous
2017-11-17T09:57:52+00:00

I was searching for a solution to my laptop starting by itself after going to sleep mode. I've read a possible solution is disabling "Reboot" task in "UpdateOrchestrator". Unfortunately, when I try to do this I get a message: 


Task Scheduler


The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task.


OK   


I don't know how to get that permission. I opened Task Scheduler as administrator, also Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts says there is one user account and it's type is "Administrator".

I'm on the current version of Windows 10 (the newest Creator's Update or whatever it's called).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-03-13T19:46:31+00:00

I'm having the same problem and I see a solution has been found. Can you post a step by step guide?

First go here to download PsTools. Extract it to a folder on your desktop.

Open Start and type cmd. Right-click the program and choose to run as administrator.

Navigate to the folder where you extracted the tools by typing "cd C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Pstools", replace Username with your username and Pstools with the folder where you extracted the tools.

When you have navigated to the correct folder, copy the following command without the quotes: "psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc".

Open the command window and right click, choose paste. Press enter.

Navigate to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> UpdateOrchestrator.

Right click the task called Reboot and click on Disable.

The task should now be disabled.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-15T14:07:47+00:00

    Hi KevinRuggles,

    To further troubleshoot this issue, I'd like to know some information. Kindly answer the following:

    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Have you made any changes prior experiencing this issue?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?

    We are looking forward to your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-10T21:08:34+00:00

    In C:\Windows\System32\Tasks

    there is no file with the task name I am having trouble with.

    maybe why nothing can be done with it?

    But why is it still in task sched and how can I get rid of it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-10T20:57:08+00:00

    I am having similar trouble on a task I created.

    I cannot delete or pause it. 

    I get the message  'the account you are running under does not have permission...'

    (I tried the steps outlined here and still get the same message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-05T23:52:49+00:00

    This has not resolved the issue for me. I can follow all the steps without any problems. However, once I click on disable, I get the same error message I get if I try disabling without PsExec: "the user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task"

    I found another workaround which worked for me. Just delete the reboot file in its folder and replace it with your own fake reboot file. Then deny all privileges for the user "SYSTEM". This way, every time the task runs, it will be denied access.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments