No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

Anonymous
2017-11-17T09:57:52+00:00

I was searching for a solution to my laptop starting by itself after going to sleep mode. I've read a possible solution is disabling "Reboot" task in "UpdateOrchestrator". Unfortunately, when I try to do this I get a message: 


Task Scheduler


The user account you are operating under does not have permission to disable this task.


OK   


I don't know how to get that permission. I opened Task Scheduler as administrator, also Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage Accounts says there is one user account and it's type is "Administrator".

I'm on the current version of Windows 10 (the newest Creator's Update or whatever it's called).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-03-13T19:46:31+00:00

I'm having the same problem and I see a solution has been found. Can you post a step by step guide?

First go here to download PsTools. Extract it to a folder on your desktop.

Open Start and type cmd. Right-click the program and choose to run as administrator.

Navigate to the folder where you extracted the tools by typing "cd C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Pstools", replace Username with your username and Pstools with the folder where you extracted the tools.

When you have navigated to the correct folder, copy the following command without the quotes: "psexec.exe -i -s %windir%\system32\mmc.exe /s taskschd.msc".

Open the command window and right click, choose paste. Press enter.

Navigate to Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> UpdateOrchestrator.

Right click the task called Reboot and click on Disable.

The task should now be disabled.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-23T22:30:06+00:00

    Hi,

    Your concern is best handled by our other forum. We suggest that you post your concern in our TechNet  forums where we have experts who are knowledgeable with these kinds of issues.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-27T08:22:42+00:00

    Hi Hugo,

    This issue may occur if you are not the task's owner nor do you have insufficient right to change the task.

    Only member of Administrators, Backup Operators, or sometimes Server Operators group on the local computer can schedule a task by default.

    Have you tried other troubleshooting steps under this thread? Have you done any recent changes on your computer?

    Kindly let us know so that we can provide appropriate assistance.

    We're looking forward to your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-23T18:53:29+00:00

    Hi,

    You mentioned that you already have full control of the file's property, can you try to disable the task while in clean boot.

    Clean boot helps eliminate conflicts between software. Kindly refer to the article below on how to do a clean boot.

    How to perform a clean boot in Windows

    Let us know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-18T09:01:08+00:00

    It creates a new empty "UpdateOrchestrator" folder, Triggers, Next Run Times etc. in Task Scheduler are different, but I still can't disable the task. I changed the name of the "UpdateOrchestrator.bad" folder back and the values changed back to the old ones,

    but I still can't do anything. I tried to make a new folder inside Task Scheduler in the same "UpdateOrchestrator" folder just to see what would happen and it also said 


    Task Scheduler


    Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))


    OK   


    but I had no problem making a new folder inside a different folder. (UNP) BUT I also seem to can't disable Tasks from other folders (or at least UNP)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments