Windows Store App Icons missing only while searching

Anonymous
2017-10-31T18:51:05+00:00

When searching for app names from the search menu in Windows 10 the icon is missing or corrupted.

The icons in the start menu appear fine.

I have tried the following:

And probably a bunch of other things I can't recall at this time. Nothing has fixed the icons.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? It appears to only be related to the search function and not the actual icons showing in the start menu.

I haven't found any way to reset the cache related to the search.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Cortana and search

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-11-13T07:55:05+00:00

That is something, David.

We'll be more than willing to look further into this. That being said, we encourage you to submit your issue as a suggestion using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item, we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help us in determining the cause and to be able to address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please re-visit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

You can follow these steps in submitting a new feedback:

  1. Search for Feedback Hub in the Cortana search field, then click the app.
  2. Click Feedback found at the upper-left part of the window, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Tick Problem, share any details you think are relevant, then choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.
  5. Click Submit once you've completed the form and monitoring.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you have submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  8. Open the item you have submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Let us know if you have further queries.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-20T20:45:36+00:00

    Restarting Windows Explorer was the first thing I tried and it did not work. Neither did the following: 

    • Uninstalling Google File Stream (others had mentioned problems with that)
    • Changing advanced system settings to "show thumbnails instead of icons" and vice versa
    • Changing folder view options to "always show icons never thumbnails" and vice versa. 
    • sfc /scannow and related 
    • Deleting and repairing icon cache and thumbnail cache. 
    • Changing the resolution
    • Changing the scale factor 
    • Reinstalling Windows in-place with all settings and apps saved. 
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 April 2018 Update 
    • WSReset.exe
    • Deleting and rebuilding windows search index 
    • Converting to local account and back to a Microsoft Account
    • Any and all of the above combined. 

    I did *not* try anything with regedit. 

    But, I seem to have got it fixed (for me, at least); your mileage may vary. 

    For me, it *did* seem to be related to the following combination of factors: (1) the default photo viewing apps, and (2) the Cortana appdata folder.

    Of course, with me trying all of the above, one or more of the above steps may have factored into the solution. I wish I could say. 

    I should note that I have no real computer science experience, just some troubleshooting here and there. If this breaks your system in some way, well, good luck. I also don't recommend doing this if you care about how well Cortana has gotten to know you. You're starting over with this. 

    So, what I did was this: 

    1. Reset app defaults to the Windows 10 Default Apps (sucks). 

     - Search Cortana for "Default Apps" --> Select Default App Settings

     - Select "Reset" box under "Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults" (You win, Microsoft). 

    1. Create a new user account. It doesn't matter what you do, I called mine "Test." 
    2. Sign out of old user account. 
    3. Sign into "Test" or whatever you called it. 
    4. Open CMD as administrator. 
    5. Navigate to C:\Users\OLD USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\

    7.  Move with command 'move "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana ############" "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana ############ BAK"' --> This will simply rename your old Cortana appdata to a backup folder. I think you could theoretically restore. Blame me if you can't. 

    1. Exit and sign out of "Test." 
    2. Sign back in and try opening Cortana, she/he/it probably won't open. Log out, restart. 
    3. Sign back into your old user account, try to open Cortana again. 

    You may note that all of your Cortana settings are gone. For me I didn't care, but you might, in which case, you may wish to restore the old folder. 

    Hopefully that helps. It seems like a few people are having this problem and nothing anyone posted really worked for me (except it did help to dig deep with Sysinternals Process Monitor). 

    Personally, I have stopped using Google File Stream, but I don't need it. I believe I noticed these symptoms prior to installing it in the first place, so I cannot say I notice these things to be related.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-12T05:29:37+00:00

    Good day! Fortunately, I fixed mine changing the icon scale (Mine was at recommended 100% so whatever yours are I hope will apply to what I did  too) from 100% to 125%. It didn't fix it so I just changed it back to 100%, and by my surprise, it was fixed!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-27T04:05:06+00:00
    1. Reset app defaults to the Windows 10 Default Apps (sucks). 

     - Search Cortana for "Default Apps" --> Select Default App Settings

     - Select "Reset" box under "Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults" (You win, Microsoft). 

    1. Create a new user account. It doesn't matter what you do, I called mine "Test." 
    2. Sign out of old user account. 
    3. Sign into "Test" or whatever you called it. 
    4. Open CMD as administrator. 
    5. Navigate to C:\Users\OLD USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\

    7.  Move with command 'move "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana ############" "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana ############ BAK"' --> This will simply rename your old Cortana appdata to a backup folder. I think you could theoretically restore. Blame me if you can't. 

    1. Exit and sign out of "Test." 
    2. Sign back in and try opening Cortana, she/he/it probably won't open. Log out, restart. 
    3. Sign back into your old user account, try to open Cortana again. 

    This worked for me after I removed Google File Stream.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments