Windows Store App Icons missing only while searching

Anonymous
2017-10-31T18:51:05+00:00

When searching for app names from the search menu in Windows 10 the icon is missing or corrupted.

The icons in the start menu appear fine.

I have tried the following:

And probably a bunch of other things I can't recall at this time. Nothing has fixed the icons.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? It appears to only be related to the search function and not the actual icons showing in the start menu.

I haven't found any way to reset the cache related to the search.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Cortana and search

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-11-13T07:55:05+00:00

That is something, David.

We'll be more than willing to look further into this. That being said, we encourage you to submit your issue as a suggestion using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item, we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help us in determining the cause and to be able to address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please re-visit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

You can follow these steps in submitting a new feedback:

  1. Search for Feedback Hub in the Cortana search field, then click the app.
  2. Click Feedback found at the upper-left part of the window, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Tick Problem, share any details you think are relevant, then choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.
  5. Click Submit once you've completed the form and monitoring.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you have submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  8. Open the item you have submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Let us know if you have further queries.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-27T04:05:06+00:00
    1. Reset app defaults to the Windows 10 Default Apps (sucks). 

     - Search Cortana for "Default Apps" --> Select Default App Settings

     - Select "Reset" box under "Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults" (You win, Microsoft). 

    1. Create a new user account. It doesn't matter what you do, I called mine "Test." 
    2. Sign out of old user account. 
    3. Sign into "Test" or whatever you called it. 
    4. Open CMD as administrator. 
    5. Navigate to C:\Users\OLD USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\

    7.  Move with command 'move "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana ############" "Microsoft.Windows.Cortana ############ BAK"' --> This will simply rename your old Cortana appdata to a backup folder. I think you could theoretically restore. Blame me if you can't. 

    1. Exit and sign out of "Test." 
    2. Sign back in and try opening Cortana, she/he/it probably won't open. Log out, restart. 
    3. Sign back into your old user account, try to open Cortana again. 

    This worked for me after I removed Google File Stream.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-19T17:55:01+00:00

    Even curiouser...

    My Windows Store App Icons on the task bar have suddenly re-appeared.  This was after I noticed that File Stream wasn't currently running as there was no icon in the System Tray, so I re-opened it and the App icons I had pinned to the task bar suddenly re-appeared!

    However, they are still missing in the search results e.g. Calendar:

    and XBOX:

    The saga continues!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-19T17:37:14+00:00

    I have the exact same problem, and I also use Google File Stream.

    I have tried removing my account from the computer and re-adding it and the icons came back for a short time, then they disappeared again.  The rest of my family that use the same PC don't appear to have this issue, but they don't use File Stream.

    Interestingly though this only happens on my Desktop PC. I also have a new HP Pavilion laptop which I have also installed File Stream on and it doesn't appear to suffer from the same issue? I log on to both machines with the same Microsoft account and settings are set to sync on both.

    Very curious...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-01T14:50:27+00:00

    I am using

    Windows 10 Pro

    Version 1709

    OS Build 16299.19

    I only just noticed the issue, so I am not sure when the issue started.

    I have created a new user profile and those icons appear correctly in the search results.

    Isn't there a way to reset the search cache?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments