missing api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll preventing me from upgrading to windows 10

Anonymous
2017-12-19T17:27:14+00:00

I'm currently on windows 7 and whenever I run Windows 10 upgrade assistant it gets to 99 then tells me I'm missing api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll. I've tried running it on a clean boot, I've ran system cleanups to repair any corrupt files, I tried removing my antivirus, and still it won't work.

Does anyone have any other methods to fix so I can upgrade? any help appreciated!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T18:06:35+00:00

    I was one of the first to have the problem. Been researching it and found the solution late last night...much simpler than that posted.

    I'm running the upgrade right now. When you get the error do the copy/paste and hit Retry.

    Copy and Paste wimgapi.dll from C: Windows/System32/wimgapi.dll to C:Windows10Upgrade/wimgapi.dll

    The date on the System32 dll is 7/13/17.

    Good Luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    300+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T14:58:55+00:00

    Disclaimer: this worked for me. I can't ensure it'll work for you.

    Alright guys I used a different approach which doesn't involve windows 10 update assistant. You're gonna need to boot the installer from a flash drive using the media creation tool(just look this up, there a guide on Microsoft's forum with a download). After getting it on the flash drive I removed my antivirus, disabled my internet, and restarted after a clean boot. I then just ran the installer off the flash drive.

    Hope this works for you.

    that's how I got around it as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T14:27:51+00:00

    Disclaimer: this worked for me. I can't ensure it'll work for you.

    Alright guys I used a different approach which doesn't involve windows 10 update assistant. You're gonna need to boot the installer from a flash drive using the media creation tool(just look this up, there a guide on Microsoft's forum with a download). After getting it on the flash drive I removed my antivirus, disabled my internet, and restarted after a clean boot. I then just ran the installer off the flash drive.

    Hope this works for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T04:31:03+00:00

    missing api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T02:50:52+00:00

    Also fresh install of Dell based windows 7 home premium

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments