missing api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll preventing me from upgrading to windows 10

Anonymous
2017-12-19T17:27:14+00:00

I'm currently on windows 7 and whenever I run Windows 10 upgrade assistant it gets to 99 then tells me I'm missing api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll. I've tried running it on a clean boot, I've ran system cleanups to repair any corrupt files, I tried removing my antivirus, and still it won't work.

Does anyone have any other methods to fix so I can upgrade? any help appreciated!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-21T17:21:37+00:00

    This worked like a charm & now upgraded from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 32-bit - with NO apparent issues.

    Question: Since I replaced the wimgapi.dll that came with Windows 10 with the Windows 7 version of it, should I go and put the Windows 10 version of wimgapi.dll In System32 folder? If so, I no longer have the Windows 10 version of wimgapi.dll and wondering where to get it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-21T03:12:30+00:00

    I have moved onto another task and haven’t tried but will tomorrow. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T22:12:39+00:00

    Sorry, I guessed at the date. My point was it was older. Might depend on your system too. Whatever it worked nicely. Too bad you can't depend on MS for a clean upgrade.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T21:13:50+00:00

    Thanks, this worked for me as well.  The only difference is that the System32 wimgapi.dll date is 7/13/2009.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T18:09:49+00:00

    So you all have the exact instructions I used, here is a copy.

    I had the same "api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll" missing issue when upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 and finally I saw your post and tried fixing the problem by "Replacing C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll with the one from C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll". It works. The Windows 10 upgrade is in progress.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments