missing api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll preventing me from upgrading to windows 10

Anonymous
2017-12-19T17:27:14+00:00

I'm currently on windows 7 and whenever I run Windows 10 upgrade assistant it gets to 99 then tells me I'm missing api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll. I've tried running it on a clean boot, I've ran system cleanups to repair any corrupt files, I tried removing my antivirus, and still it won't work.

Does anyone have any other methods to fix so I can upgrade? any help appreciated!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-30T21:51:32+00:00

    This is the last day and I got the Solution.

    1. Go to Local Disk C -> Windows -> System32and search for **'WIMG'**and copy the file.
    2. Paste it in the WindowsUpdate folder in C.
    3. Start the updater and problem will be solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-28T13:16:21+00:00

    11111111

    I had the same "api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-1-1.dll" missing issue 

    when upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 

    and finally I saw your post and tried fixing the problem 

    by "Replacing 

    C:\Windows10Upgrade\wimgapi.dll with the one from C:\Windows\System32\wimgapi.dll". It works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T02:57:31+00:00

    Hi - You need to go to the 1st reply under this thread that mentions copying & pasting a dll file & follow the instructions.  Its a matter of replacing the windows 10 Upgrade file with the regular Windows dll file of the same name.  Just a simple copy & paste.  I followed the procedures & it worked.  You do this copy/paste (replace) of the file when the 10 update errors out.  Then copy/paste (replace) the file and hit "try again".  The windows 10 update will run smoothly afterwards.  I am sorry but I did this several nights ago & forgot the exact name of the file but it is in the error code thread.

    Good Luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-25T17:04:38+00:00

    Thank you for fix to issue.  Merry Christmas

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-21T17:21:37+00:00

    This worked like a charm & now upgraded from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 10 32-bit - with NO apparent issues.

    Question: Since I replaced the wimgapi.dll that came with Windows 10 with the Windows 7 version of it, should I go and put the Windows 10 version of wimgapi.dll In System32 folder? If so, I no longer have the Windows 10 version of wimgapi.dll and wondering where to get it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments