Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-26T08:29:12+00:00

    I had this problem when an NVIDIA driver install did not complete correctly.

    I fixed it as follows: search the registry for plug and play\device install reboot required and you will find a scheduled task with that name. Delete the registry entry (backing up your registry first, of course), and restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-26T11:35:32+00:00

    I found my problem and a solution for me. (maybe is not your solution but it's safe to try it)

    First of all I have to say that my windows is recently installed and I haven't install any driver manually. I just found that in my case the AMD driver is the problem. I have a 270x graphics card and windows update installs his drivers but the big problem is in AMD External Events Utility that can be disabled on windows services.

    • Windows Key + R (open run...) -> services.msc
    • Look at AMD External Events Utility -> open it -> set startup from automatic to manual
    • Reboot (probably you should force reboot)

    Now my Windows seems to work perfectly. I also had windows store problems that just disappears it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-29T18:18:00+00:00

    This got rid of the Task Host Window stalling the reboot.  and it made my taskbar behave properly again.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T12:52:15+00:00

    You can't do a clean boot because you can't access the Start Menu.

    The Task Manager freezes Cortana, the Start button, etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-12T15:55:00+00:00

    Dear people, 

    The problem occured for the third time on my pc today, the first time it just dissappeard after shutting down anyway and starting up the next day. Second time it got away by checking the disk when rebooting with the command: chkdsk /f in cmd as admin. This time it went away after starting windows in safe mode, then shutting down and restarting with my ethernet cable unplugged... so I guess this ethernet cable had something to do with that plug&play problem... 

    Hopfully this is helpfull for some people out there, 

    Good luck

    seppe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments