Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T21:45:18+00:00

    When I started on this 'adventure,' the issue was that a windows update left my one year old computer at 'Please Wait.'  After I was able to boot into safe mode, I was adjusting the services starting with the boot into windows.  Then the Taskhost error and task bar problems cropped up.  I never got past that.  Did both problems have the same root?  

    I tried booting with no external devices and all my external devices, and stuff in between.

    I tried restore points, scannow and DISM.  All to no avail.

    Microsoft support worked on it with me.

    I have the same hardware I had before my clean build, but clearly I don't have all of the software I had before.

    Bad Code?  Maybe.  Random incompatibility?  Likely.

    Just an aside, most of the same software runs on my 9 year old, 32 bit dell laptop.  It started out on Vista, and was upgraded to Windows 7 and Windows 10.  It had no problem with this update. 

    My 1 year old Acer 64 bit desktop with a current I5 processer was born on Windows 10 Home, ehhhhhh.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T21:51:53+00:00

    I tried turning off the "(Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-In Options)" 

    JE

    Jean-YvesR suggested and it did not fix the problem. 

    The only work around that worked for me is creating a second user account; I boot up, sign into the original account then sign back out and sign in to the new user account, then sign back out and sign back into my original user account.

    Once I do that I have full use of the menu and icons in my original account.

    I am still looking for a real fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-21T19:42:28+00:00

    SOLVED!

    I was going to wait a couple more days to make sure, but I am convinced that this is the proper solution. I am having zero problems here on Sunday the 21st after turning off that Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-In Options -> "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart"  option when magnificent Jean-YvesR posted it. The bug has not appeared since I turned it off.

    I was convinced this was a bug, because it started after the 1709 update.

    Now the question is, will Microsoft recognize this as a real bug, or will their paid deniers on these Forums keep blaming the Users? I am sick of this pattern of MS blaming Users for their poor coding, and it is time for Microsoft to clean up their act.

    Microsoft, all you have to do on the next update is set the default for the button to OFF. It is a quick, simple fix that affects nothing. If you are willing to do the right thing, of course, then get rid of this useless setting, so that it stops being a problem. I'm thinking you won't do the right thing, because that is becoming more and more rare in your company, at least since Nadella took over.

    I have been a Microsoft man since I wrote batch files for DOS in the 1980's, so I am not some newbie blaming MS for everything. I am seeing a pattern of thinking by MS that appears to be "the customer is an idiot and we are the Gods now" and it is ruining your wonderful company.

    Quit it.

    Joel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-22T15:11:27+00:00

    same problem here on a freshly windows recently installed. I tried everything said in this topic without success. My temporal solution for now is logout my user session and enter again without reboot. On this second time all seems to run fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-25T19:10:22+00:00

    Hello Jean-YvesR,

    I've been struggling with this too ... and might have found a solution.

    See this thread : https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/startmenu-not-working-after-updating-to-windows-10-1709-device-install-reboot-required.2528621/#post-39196748

    This bit :

    I've been searching for a solution for the last 24 hours and your suggestion solved my problem on 4 KINGDEL mini-pc that I had this problem on.

    Merci beaucoup pour ton aide. Thank you very much for your help.

    Ciao!

    Martin

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments