Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T12:44:56+00:00

    Yep had same issue, It was caused by either my external HDD I use every day or a new controller I connected with USB3.0 because after I shut my pc down anyway I removed all connected devices (when pc was still running I got an error trying to eject my Ext. Hdd) and then when I started up my pc next day it was running like it should do... It hasn't come back since...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-16T22:00:00+00:00

    I just the same issue happen about an hour ago. It does seem to be related to USB 3.0 and was saying in my device manager that it couldn't identify the device (wireless headphones in my case). Switching it to USB 2.0 seemed to fix it but I still get the same error you have when trying to restart or log off. 

    Changing the port and logging out and back in again seems to have brought my task bar back to normal though but I haven't installed any system updates or drivers since last week so it's odd to be popping up now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-16T23:33:45+00:00

    This is intresting, 

    Thnx for sharing! 

    Seppe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T14:54:44+00:00

    My fingers are crossed, but I have not had a recurrence.  I am using all of the devices I had used when the problem occurred.  

    I thought it would be good to share what I learned in the process:

    • it was very hard to get to safe made, because I could not get to a logon when the update problems started.
      • I created a recovery drive on another computer.
      • I could then get to a c prompt.
      • I could then (from the C: drive) use bcdedit to boot into safe mode
        • c:bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network
    • In safemode, I ran msconfig.exe, and disabled any services that were not running in safemode.  I disabled all apps, and I rebooted using Diagnostic Mode
      • Incrementally I enabled services to facilitate networking.
      • I could not predict when the taskhost error would occur - but typically the error referred to Plug N Play.
    • But I also found that SFC /scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth failed also.
      • I could make them work again by enabling the Windows Modules Installer in services (running services.msc)

    Ultimately, I could not resolve the Taskhost issue., but by getting it to safemode and even getting it to boot up, I was able to refresh my backed up data, once networking was working.

    Good luck, and now when Windows pops up the message, "Would you recommend Windows 10" I have an answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T17:45:01+00:00

    I was able to solve this problem, but can't remember exactly how. I do know that it is a bug and I fixed by turning off a switch that says "complete task using Microsoft account settings". Turning that off fixed the issue for me. Look for such a switch in settings.

    Good lunch

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments