Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T00:24:48+00:00

    After reading this thread, there is no doubt that this is a serious Microsoft Bug. I am going to reboot and try to take a picture of the task halt so you can see it, but stop asking for a Clean boot. When this first happened to me on Friday, I fiddled around with it. I thought it was a Microsoft Edge problem because it causes Edge to not open, even though it is open in Task Manager with 14 instances. I completely wiped the M.2 SSD on Sunday morning, re-partition and all that, and reloaded Windows 10. I also let it install every update.

    On Monday night, it returned. I tried a fix I found for what I thought was the Edge problem, and I thought it was fixed. However, this evening, after being shut off all day, the issue returned.

    I fear this could become a widespread bug because the Microsoft folks in here do not appear to be taking it seriously.

    I will return with a picture of the screen when I restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T00:34:44+00:00

    There is the problem. Please provide a solution, Microsoft. I have no new devices since I reinstalled Windows 10 on Sunday. There are no USB devices plugged in except mouse and Keyboard. A lot of people seem to be having this issue, so you cannot point to some random USB device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T06:01:29+00:00

    I have the latest update of Windows 10. I'm unable to access the Start Menu or any Widows apps. On shut down I get the message "Microsoft Windows Plug and Play Device Install Reboot Required".

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T08:21:49+00:00

    I had the same problem. I have an Asus H97-Pro Mainboard. Uninstalling AI Suite 3 solved the issue so far for me. When I reinstall AI Suite 3 the problem is there again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T11:37:40+00:00

    Unfortunately, after two weeks of working with Microsoft support, I had to do a clean install of Windows.  The problem has not returned.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments