Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T11:13:18+00:00

    Okay,

    Intresting Information, Keep us updated please. 

    seppe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T13:27:04+00:00

    I have the same issue and have to do a system restore to fix. The buil info is the same as yours. Must be a Microsoft glitch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T13:28:31+00:00

    I have the same issue and the same build info. Must be a Microsoft glitch as the only fix is a restore! Microsoft should stop messing around and fix it as it is a pain!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T14:11:21+00:00

    I have found a suggestion on the web to stop the Host Task problem, but it did not restore my start menu / taskbar issues.  It had four suggestions but this was the explanation for the solution below:

    After the recent 1709 update by Windows, many system functions began conflicting and numerous problems arose. One of these problems is the one we are discussing. There is a workaround present for users experiencing this problem post-1709 update.

    Press Windows + S to launch the search bar. Type “account” in the dialogue box. Open the first relevant result which comes forth.

    Once in the account settings, navigate to “Sign-in options” and uncheck (turn off) the option “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart”.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T18:54:35+00:00

    I started over using this methodology:

    • started in safemode
    • set up msconfig for a diagnostic boot up
    • enabled only those services that were running in safemode
    • restarted.
    • (successful boot - start menu / taskbar / cortana work)
    • updated MSConfig / services.msc to those services that were successful in my previous attempts - reboot successful - no taskbar issue issues
    • updated these services to enable them - to support networking and signin
      • windows logon gave me sign-in options - so it read the signin options
      • taskbar issues returned, no access to settings.
      • windows asked me to change my password (with the login)
      • these are the services I enabled with the change that impacted the taskbar:
      Diagnostic Policy service
      Diagnostic Execution Service
      Diagnostic Service Host
      Diagnostic System Host
      Windows Module Installer
      Plug And pLay
      Network Store Interface Service
      Microsoft Passport
      Network List Service
      Windows Management Instrumentation
      Connected Platform Devices
      Active X installer
      Application Layer Gateway Service
      Credential Manager

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments