Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-25T23:50:13+00:00

    We appreciate the information that you've provided, Seppe. We suggest to proceed with performing a clean boot first. This will only isolate any software conflicts and will not remove any files. When you start Windows by using a normal startup operation, several applications and services start automatically as well and then run in the background. Programs such as basic system processes, antivirus software and system utility applications running together at the same time in the background can trigger software conflicts.

    Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T20:09:56+00:00

    I have the same problem. Is MS working on a fix?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T01:49:55+00:00

    I have found that if you sign out and then sign in again then the task bar will work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T17:27:34+00:00

    I've also been having this prob on win 10 but as u say a quick reboot and all works, I have a sneaky feeling this is a usb issue (in my case I think it's either the fresco logic usb3 board drivers or an issue with oculus rift).

    Once I get it sortie I'll post more.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-02T02:18:22+00:00
    • While I was not directed to do this, I have found the same problem.  I think that the order is reversed, but either way, they go together.  When I get the Task Host error, it is followed by the Menu and Cortana problems.
    • I cannot get into settings or cortana.  Right click also doesn't work.
    • I am running 1709 OS build 16299.125, on a 64 bit install.  Installing 1709 has been a disaster.  I have finally gotten to the point where I can load windows with Networking, and sharing working.  My PC is an ACER with last year's I5 processor - I did not expect compatibility issues with a recent machine.
    • Task Host failed with this noted \Microsoft\windows\deviceDirectoryClient\RegisterUserDevice.
    • Then it failed with Plug and play\device Install REboot Required.
    • I think that another problem is related... I also found that SFC \scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth stopped working until I started Windows Modules Installer andrestarted
    • Also, the site that suggested that also said that Net start trustedinstaller from cmd.exe at admin level, could do the same.

    Since they also stopped again, I though that would fix the menu start and cortana and right click problems.  

    I am about to try to reboot again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments