Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-13T01:14:39+00:00

    This registry change fixed it for me!!

    • regedit to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService"
    • add a DWORD (32bit) "DelayedAutostart" and set it to 1
    • add a DWORD (32bit) "AutoStartDelay" click on Decimal and set it for 60 (for 1 minute)

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-14T10:27:32+00:00

    This registry change fixed it for me!!

    • regedit to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService"
    • add a DWORD (32bit) "DelayedAutostart" and set it to 1
    • add a DWORD (32bit) "AutoStartDelay" click on Decimal and set it for 60 (for 1 minute)

    Many thanks for the fix.  It solved the close down problem and gave me access to the start button as well.  All is back to normal(whatever that is).

    Thank you very much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments