Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-16T22:00:00+00:00

    I just the same issue happen about an hour ago. It does seem to be related to USB 3.0 and was saying in my device manager that it couldn't identify the device (wireless headphones in my case). Switching it to USB 2.0 seemed to fix it but I still get the same error you have when trying to restart or log off. 

    Changing the port and logging out and back in again seems to have brought my task bar back to normal though but I haven't installed any system updates or drivers since last week so it's odd to be popping up now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T12:44:56+00:00

    Yep had same issue, It was caused by either my external HDD I use every day or a new controller I connected with USB3.0 because after I shut my pc down anyway I removed all connected devices (when pc was still running I got an error trying to eject my Ext. Hdd) and then when I started up my pc next day it was running like it should do... It hasn't come back since...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T11:37:40+00:00

    Unfortunately, after two weeks of working with Microsoft support, I had to do a clean install of Windows.  The problem has not returned.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T08:21:49+00:00

    I had the same problem. I have an Asus H97-Pro Mainboard. Uninstalling AI Suite 3 solved the issue so far for me. When I reinstall AI Suite 3 the problem is there again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T06:01:29+00:00

    I have the latest update of Windows 10. I'm unable to access the Start Menu or any Widows apps. On shut down I get the message "Microsoft Windows Plug and Play Device Install Reboot Required".

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments