Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T19:36:14+00:00

    Hey there !

    I've been struggling with this too ... and might have found a solution.

    See this thread : https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/startmenu-not-working-after-updating-to-windows-10-1709-device-install-reboot-required.2528621/#post-39196748

    This bit :

    "Apparently Microsoft added a new option in the Accounts section in 1703 (Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-In Options) called "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart.". The dutch website says (according the google

    translate) the option doesn't really work and to turn this option off and it should fix the task bar/start menu issue. I am testing this on my desktop at the moment, shutting off/restarting my Desktop, and haven't ran into the task bar/start menu issue yet."

    Tried it, restarted, start menu, cortana and notifications bar all working well.

    Hope it stays that way and that helps !

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T21:18:49+00:00

    I had the same pronlem. Please try my fix and lose faith in Microsoft (again) if this fix helps you.

    I determined that it was cortina that was in the lastest update, so I disabled my microphone, as I have noted on another pc that without a microphone, cortina does not start.

    after a reboot this left me with the PC getting stuck in a loop trying to update. So obviously it was looking for the driver fix. After an hour I did jsut turn it off, and then restarted the machine.

    the microphone is enabled again, wihtout my intervention.

    The task bar works fine and I am not seeing any problems when I restart.

    So try disbling any microphone you have and see if you find any release from the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T17:45:01+00:00

    I was able to solve this problem, but can't remember exactly how. I do know that it is a bug and I fixed by turning off a switch that says "complete task using Microsoft account settings". Turning that off fixed the issue for me. Look for such a switch in settings.

    Good lunch

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-17T14:54:44+00:00

    My fingers are crossed, but I have not had a recurrence.  I am using all of the devices I had used when the problem occurred.  

    I thought it would be good to share what I learned in the process:

    • it was very hard to get to safe made, because I could not get to a logon when the update problems started.
      • I created a recovery drive on another computer.
      • I could then get to a c prompt.
      • I could then (from the C: drive) use bcdedit to boot into safe mode
        • c:bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network
    • In safemode, I ran msconfig.exe, and disabled any services that were not running in safemode.  I disabled all apps, and I rebooted using Diagnostic Mode
      • Incrementally I enabled services to facilitate networking.
      • I could not predict when the taskhost error would occur - but typically the error referred to Plug N Play.
    • But I also found that SFC /scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth failed also.
      • I could make them work again by enabling the Windows Modules Installer in services (running services.msc)

    Ultimately, I could not resolve the Taskhost issue., but by getting it to safemode and even getting it to boot up, I was able to refresh my backed up data, once networking was working.

    Good luck, and now when Windows pops up the message, "Would you recommend Windows 10" I have an answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-16T23:33:45+00:00

    This is intresting, 

    Thnx for sharing! 

    Seppe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments