Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T21:51:53+00:00

    I tried turning off the "(Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-In Options)" 

    JE

    Jean-YvesR suggested and it did not fix the problem. 

    The only work around that worked for me is creating a second user account; I boot up, sign into the original account then sign back out and sign in to the new user account, then sign back out and sign back into my original user account.

    Once I do that I have full use of the menu and icons in my original account.

    I am still looking for a real fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T21:45:18+00:00

    When I started on this 'adventure,' the issue was that a windows update left my one year old computer at 'Please Wait.'  After I was able to boot into safe mode, I was adjusting the services starting with the boot into windows.  Then the Taskhost error and task bar problems cropped up.  I never got past that.  Did both problems have the same root?  

    I tried booting with no external devices and all my external devices, and stuff in between.

    I tried restore points, scannow and DISM.  All to no avail.

    Microsoft support worked on it with me.

    I have the same hardware I had before my clean build, but clearly I don't have all of the software I had before.

    Bad Code?  Maybe.  Random incompatibility?  Likely.

    Just an aside, most of the same software runs on my 9 year old, 32 bit dell laptop.  It started out on Vista, and was upgraded to Windows 7 and Windows 10.  It had no problem with this update. 

    My 1 year old Acer 64 bit desktop with a current I5 processer was born on Windows 10 Home, ehhhhhh.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T20:57:17+00:00

    You are correct. Exactly how I fix my install. Bad code?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T19:52:15+00:00

    Sorry to hear that :( My workaround till now has been to shut down (not restart) my computer, killing the taskhost process upon shutdown, then power up again. Then I had access back to the start menu, until next restart (shutdown was fine), and settings, and applied the solution I posted from there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T19:46:57+00:00

    It didn't work for me because once the team host problem started i couldn't access settings.  I did get back in by resetting my my start services, but i don't believe that this option helped.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments