Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-26T11:35:32+00:00

    I found my problem and a solution for me. (maybe is not your solution but it's safe to try it)

    First of all I have to say that my windows is recently installed and I haven't install any driver manually. I just found that in my case the AMD driver is the problem. I have a 270x graphics card and windows update installs his drivers but the big problem is in AMD External Events Utility that can be disabled on windows services.

    • Windows Key + R (open run...) -> services.msc
    • Look at AMD External Events Utility -> open it -> set startup from automatic to manual
    • Reboot (probably you should force reboot)

    Now my Windows seems to work perfectly. I also had windows store problems that just disappears it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-26T08:29:12+00:00

    I had this problem when an NVIDIA driver install did not complete correctly.

    I fixed it as follows: search the registry for plug and play\device install reboot required and you will find a scheduled task with that name. Delete the registry entry (backing up your registry first, of course), and restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-25T19:10:22+00:00

    Hello Jean-YvesR,

    I've been struggling with this too ... and might have found a solution.

    See this thread : https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/startmenu-not-working-after-updating-to-windows-10-1709-device-install-reboot-required.2528621/#post-39196748

    This bit :

    I've been searching for a solution for the last 24 hours and your suggestion solved my problem on 4 KINGDEL mini-pc that I had this problem on.

    Merci beaucoup pour ton aide. Thank you very much for your help.

    Ciao!

    Martin

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-22T15:11:27+00:00

    same problem here on a freshly windows recently installed. I tried everything said in this topic without success. My temporal solution for now is logout my user session and enter again without reboot. On this second time all seems to run fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-21T19:42:28+00:00

    SOLVED!

    I was going to wait a couple more days to make sure, but I am convinced that this is the proper solution. I am having zero problems here on Sunday the 21st after turning off that Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-In Options -> "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart"  option when magnificent Jean-YvesR posted it. The bug has not appeared since I turned it off.

    I was convinced this was a bug, because it started after the 1709 update.

    Now the question is, will Microsoft recognize this as a real bug, or will their paid deniers on these Forums keep blaming the Users? I am sick of this pattern of MS blaming Users for their poor coding, and it is time for Microsoft to clean up their act.

    Microsoft, all you have to do on the next update is set the default for the button to OFF. It is a quick, simple fix that affects nothing. If you are willing to do the right thing, of course, then get rid of this useless setting, so that it stops being a problem. I'm thinking you won't do the right thing, because that is becoming more and more rare in your company, at least since Nadella took over.

    I have been a Microsoft man since I wrote batch files for DOS in the 1980's, so I am not some newbie blaming MS for everything. I am seeing a pattern of thinking by MS that appears to be "the customer is an idiot and we are the Gods now" and it is ruining your wonderful company.

    Quit it.

    Joel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments