Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-26T08:29:12+00:00

    I had this problem when an NVIDIA driver install did not complete correctly.

    I fixed it as follows: search the registry for plug and play\device install reboot required and you will find a scheduled task with that name. Delete the registry entry (backing up your registry first, of course), and restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-25T19:10:22+00:00

    Hello Jean-YvesR,

    I've been struggling with this too ... and might have found a solution.

    See this thread : https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/startmenu-not-working-after-updating-to-windows-10-1709-device-install-reboot-required.2528621/#post-39196748

    This bit :

    I've been searching for a solution for the last 24 hours and your suggestion solved my problem on 4 KINGDEL mini-pc that I had this problem on.

    Merci beaucoup pour ton aide. Thank you very much for your help.

    Ciao!

    Martin

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-22T15:11:27+00:00

    same problem here on a freshly windows recently installed. I tried everything said in this topic without success. My temporal solution for now is logout my user session and enter again without reboot. On this second time all seems to run fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-23T01:12:27+00:00

    Hi Seppe,

    This issue with Taskhost may occur due to a corrupted or broken system file component. To isolate this concern, kindly answer the following:

    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Did you recall making any changes prior to the issue?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the exact error message that you're getting when using your computer?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

    In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the previous troubleshooting we've provided in this thread regarding performing a clean boot. Also, you may check if your computer is up to date by following the instructions listed here.

    For any results, just send us a reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T06:06:38+00:00

    Hi,

    To better manage this thread, we'd like to know if you still have issues regarding your computer running on Windows 10. If so, kindly reply to this thread so we can further assist you.

    We'll be looking forward to your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments