Taskhost is stopping ... device install reboot required

Anonymous
2017-10-30T15:28:09+00:00

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 1709.  System, including on board USB, works fine until I plug into the motherboard connectors with external USB devices - card reader, front side usb ports.  Then when I go to windows, Cortana box and Start menu and task bar are inoperable.   When I shut down, I get the Taskhost is stopping..... message.

Have done the clean install several times and also did System File Checker.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T14:11:21+00:00

    I have found a suggestion on the web to stop the Host Task problem, but it did not restore my start menu / taskbar issues.  It had four suggestions but this was the explanation for the solution below:

    After the recent 1709 update by Windows, many system functions began conflicting and numerous problems arose. One of these problems is the one we are discussing. There is a workaround present for users experiencing this problem post-1709 update.

    Press Windows + S to launch the search bar. Type “account” in the dialogue box. Open the first relevant result which comes forth.

    Once in the account settings, navigate to “Sign-in options” and uncheck (turn off) the option “Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart”.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T13:28:31+00:00

    I have the same issue and the same build info. Must be a Microsoft glitch as the only fix is a restore! Microsoft should stop messing around and fix it as it is a pain!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-29T18:18:00+00:00

    This got rid of the Task Host Window stalling the reboot.  and it made my taskbar behave properly again.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-21T19:42:28+00:00

    SOLVED!

    I was going to wait a couple more days to make sure, but I am convinced that this is the proper solution. I am having zero problems here on Sunday the 21st after turning off that Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-In Options -> "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart"  option when magnificent Jean-YvesR posted it. The bug has not appeared since I turned it off.

    I was convinced this was a bug, because it started after the 1709 update.

    Now the question is, will Microsoft recognize this as a real bug, or will their paid deniers on these Forums keep blaming the Users? I am sick of this pattern of MS blaming Users for their poor coding, and it is time for Microsoft to clean up their act.

    Microsoft, all you have to do on the next update is set the default for the button to OFF. It is a quick, simple fix that affects nothing. If you are willing to do the right thing, of course, then get rid of this useless setting, so that it stops being a problem. I'm thinking you won't do the right thing, because that is becoming more and more rare in your company, at least since Nadella took over.

    I have been a Microsoft man since I wrote batch files for DOS in the 1980's, so I am not some newbie blaming MS for everything. I am seeing a pattern of thinking by MS that appears to be "the customer is an idiot and we are the Gods now" and it is ruining your wonderful company.

    Quit it.

    Joel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-08T01:10:39+00:00

    Hi,

    The error message Windows cannot properly load your Device Install Reboot Required filelikely occurs due to corrupted Windows registry or device driver. This can also be caused by corrupted download or incomplete installation of Windows. We'll need to gather a bit more information to better identify what's causing this. Kindly answer the following:

    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using? To check it, kindly follow the steps provided on this link.
    • Did you make any changes prior to the issue?
    • Can you send us a screenshot of the exact error message that you're getting when using your computer?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

    We're looking forward to your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments