Neither did I which is why/how I figured out the alternative. Follow the rest of the steps and you should be good. Modern computers tend to hold onto old drivers in case they're needed and in this case, they're needed. Luckily, the computer knows where to look for them and once it finds them you just have to select one that's not dated 7/25/2017 and you should be good to go. If there is no other driver listed, then you'll have to follow some of the other instructions to find the old AMD driver, but my approach works for most people.
Display Driver has suddenly defaulted to Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver
Hi All
My 7 year old Dell XPS Studio laptop, which has been running Win 10 nicely for the last couple of years, has now changed my ATi Radeon HD 3560 driver to the Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver, presumably after a Win update.
Consequently, my screen resolution is not correct. There is no option of changing the screen resolution back to the previous setting, as it is no longer there.
I now can't revert back to the previous graphics driver (no rollback option, no system restore option, and no way of downloading the discontinued Ati drivers)
I have tried uninstalling the display driver through Device Manager and scanning for hardware changes, but no luck there.
Windows update says I have the latest driver.
Uninstalling the previous windows update has no effect either.
The display was running correctly previously , but the basic Microsoft driver has now taken over.
Would anyone have any ideas, short of reinstalling Windows again?
Thank You
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
41 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2017-11-26T13:41:07+00:00 -
Anonymous
2017-11-26T12:50:16+00:00 I have no roll back option
-
Anonymous
2017-11-26T12:11:37+00:00 If the roll back option is grayed out or the problem persists, then try this. The problem seems to be with the video driver dated 7/25/2017. In some cases when you can roll back, you just roll back to another version of the 7/25/2017 driver. I went to Device Manager, then clicked on the "display adapters" and then right clicked on the ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics (or whatever graphics you have.) Then I clicked on the "Driver" tab, Then "Update Driver." Then "Browse my computer for driver software." Then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer." It found four versions of the driver, two dated 7/25/2017 and one dated earlier along with the generic one. I clicked on the earlier dated one and installed it and I'm back to normal. The screen went black for a few seconds, but when it came back I was back at my old resolution.
-
Anonymous
2017-11-26T11:32:19+00:00 This is an outrage! Your updates should not make our drivers useless! I have the same issue and have been trying to fix to no avail! Maybe it's time to go to Mac!... I am furious that you have rolled out updates that affect so many.... ARE YOU GOING TO FIX THIS! I am hating the stretched screen!!!!!
-
Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2017-11-26T10:36:50+00:00 If you don't have the option to roll the driver back you may be able to do this.
Select Update driver and then Browse computer, next Let me choose etc. and then look for a previous driver in the list.
Another user has stated they were able to download and use a Windows 8 driver from AMD.
You should disable driver updates after you have your display working correctly. Open Control Panel and select System, then Advanced system settings, then the Hardware tab. Select Device Installation settings and select No for driver update. Note this will stop all driver updates but not security updates.