Display Driver has suddenly defaulted to Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver

Anonymous
2017-11-26T08:52:52+00:00

Hi All

My 7 year old Dell XPS Studio laptop, which has been running Win 10 nicely for the last couple of years, has now changed my ATi Radeon HD 3560 driver to the Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver, presumably after a Win update.

Consequently, my screen resolution is not correct. There is no option of changing the screen resolution back to the previous setting, as it is no longer there.

I now can't revert back to the previous graphics driver (no rollback option, no system restore option, and no way of downloading the discontinued Ati drivers)

I have tried uninstalling the display driver through Device Manager and scanning for hardware changes, but no luck there.

Windows update says I have the latest driver.

Uninstalling the previous windows update has no effect either.

The display was running correctly previously , but the basic Microsoft driver has now taken over.

Would anyone have any ideas, short of reinstalling Windows again?

Thank You

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-26T23:56:33+00:00

    The following method has worked for some people to correct their display adapter monitor distortions associated with a recent Windows Driver Update. 

    Courtesy of KenW_3132’s  modified--also GardenMan

    1. Right click Start Menu
    2. Right click Device Manager
    3. Left click and Expand Display adapter

    3A. Right click on YOUR listed driver.

    1. Right Click  Update your Driver
    2. Left Click on Browse my computer for driver software
    3. Left Click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
    4. Brings up a list of drivers I was looking for clicked on that and it installed the driver and all is working fine now.

    Courtesy of KenB_3132 found below.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/screen-resolution-changed/7fa10a2e-ab15-4b3f-9611-90dd819eedaa?messageId=589978b3-8700-4eef-948c-e1e7812583ee&auth=1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-11-26T22:22:54+00:00

    I've no idea, you will have to wait and see. It is AMD that have removed support for the graphics you have. I guess MS tried an update and obviously got something wrong. They may be trying a fix as we speak and you'll just have to wait.

    As you say there are lots of users on this forum with the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-26T20:26:58+00:00

    I may try that option but truthfully Microsoft should fix it.. they created the problem. I am sure there are many of us who are now having these issues.. no fault of our own! Why don't they just come up with a patch to fix what they broke!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-11-26T19:20:23+00:00

    Another user has reported that using the latest Windows 8 Catalyst driver from AMD worked for them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-26T19:16:14+00:00

    Thanks for the replies guys.

    Unfortunately I can't use the rollback, as it's greyed out, and there are no other driver (.inf) files in the folder that is selected by default when browsing for alternative ones.

    I have even tried installing the AMD driver as suggested above, and although the installation completes, this does nothing as regards changing the display driver.

    I have also tried to browse to the AMD installation folder to try and select any drivers manually, but without success.

    Have run SFC as suggested too. All ok.

    Tried installing the original Dell display driver (for Win 7 as it was then) to see if by some remote chance it might work, but it didn't.

    So short of reinstalling Windows again, I'm stumped!

    I don't understand why suddenly this has happened, when all was working fine previously, and yet now can't revert back in any way.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments