Another user reported using Windows 8 catalyst driver worked for them. Just a thought.
Display Driver has suddenly defaulted to Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver
Hi All
My 7 year old Dell XPS Studio laptop, which has been running Win 10 nicely for the last couple of years, has now changed my ATi Radeon HD 3560 driver to the Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver, presumably after a Win update.
Consequently, my screen resolution is not correct. There is no option of changing the screen resolution back to the previous setting, as it is no longer there.
I now can't revert back to the previous graphics driver (no rollback option, no system restore option, and no way of downloading the discontinued Ati drivers)
I have tried uninstalling the display driver through Device Manager and scanning for hardware changes, but no luck there.
Windows update says I have the latest driver.
Uninstalling the previous windows update has no effect either.
The display was running correctly previously , but the basic Microsoft driver has now taken over.
Would anyone have any ideas, short of reinstalling Windows again?
Thank You
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
41 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2017-11-28T11:06:17+00:00 I have already done this to no avail... the drivers listed are all the one that is not working properly with the new update. All I need is the ability to change the resolution to 1600 x 900 and my problem would be fixed. The update has taken this option away!
-
Anonymous
2017-11-27T21:58:36+00:00 Thanks Wayne.... not your fault :) I have decided to wait for the fix. I have 2 computers running right now so will use the other one when the stretched screen is too much
Anne
-
Anonymous
2017-11-27T16:41:43+00:00 Try all the choices including the generic driver.
Also have you tried rolling back the driver?
If your computer device can function as is, you can also simply wait for MS to issue a fix for this. That is the easy way to deal with it if you can live with the display distortions until then.
Sorry I can't solve your problem.
Regards,
Wayne
-
Anonymous
2017-11-27T11:21:13+00:00 I see the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter... should I choose that one as the Manfct. of the ATI has no updates. I don't think it will resolve the issue if it doesn't offer the 1600x900 resolution though.
I have the Discs that came with the computer will the drivers for the Display adapter be there so I can restore to its original version from that?