Display Driver has suddenly defaulted to Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver

Anonymous
2017-11-26T08:52:52+00:00

Hi All

My 7 year old Dell XPS Studio laptop, which has been running Win 10 nicely for the last couple of years, has now changed my ATi Radeon HD 3560 driver to the Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver, presumably after a Win update.

Consequently, my screen resolution is not correct. There is no option of changing the screen resolution back to the previous setting, as it is no longer there.

I now can't revert back to the previous graphics driver (no rollback option, no system restore option, and no way of downloading the discontinued Ati drivers)

I have tried uninstalling the display driver through Device Manager and scanning for hardware changes, but no luck there.

Windows update says I have the latest driver.

Uninstalling the previous windows update has no effect either.

The display was running correctly previously , but the basic Microsoft driver has now taken over.

Would anyone have any ideas, short of reinstalling Windows again?

Thank You

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-30T10:40:34+00:00

    BulldogXX states,

    "Since the driver comes from AMD - and not Microsoft, which merely distributes what AMD gives them - you should contact AMD technical support and ask them:"  "As I explained, only AMD can write drivers for their hardware"

    No No No BullDog.  Microsoft needs to distribute a proper AMD Driver Update and not have users hunt it down at AMD.

    Stop passing the buck to AMD.  Microsoft needs to distribute a new proper functioning driver update from AMD.

    Your advice doesn't really help people resolve their problems.  You are blame placing AMD rather than the distributor Microsoft.  That's how I see it.

    Regards,

    Wayne

    You are 100% correct Wayne!!! Microsoft did this with their update before checking all the possible outcomes! They did it.. they need to fix it! They new AMD was not supported for Windows 10 and I am certain they new 1000's of computers had this on their computers and if they didn't then they should have! They should provide a driver for us that WORKS!!!! 

    I am truly sick of looking at a distorted screen and CAN'T AFFORD to purchase new anything! Prior to this last update everything on my computer looked just fine! 

    Microsoft took the resolution display options away! They need to find a way to put them back!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Neil D 34,340 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-11-30T09:23:56+00:00

    AMD don't support ATI 2000, 3000, 4000 graphics in Windows 10. Their support ended with Windows 8.

    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Win10-Driver-Support.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-30T06:18:32+00:00

    BulldogXX states,

    "Since the driver comes from AMD - and not Microsoft, which merely distributes what AMD gives them - you should contact AMD technical support and ask them:"  "As I explained, only AMD can write drivers for their hardware"

    No No No BullDog.  Microsoft needs to distribute a proper AMD Driver Update and not have users hunt things down at AMD.

    Stop passing the buck to AMD.  Microsoft needs to distribute a new proper functioning driver update from AMD.

    Your advice doesn't really help people resolve their problems.  You are blame placing AMD rather than the distributor Microsoft.  That's how I see it.

    Regards,

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-30T04:24:26+00:00

    If Microsoft would just do an update to add the 1600x900 resoultion option to our systems we could then fix the problem quite easily!

    As I explained, only AMD can write drivers for their hardware.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-11-29T14:14:44+00:00

    I will ask my local PC guy.. I am a bit afraid on installing on a May work.. if it doesn't I am afraid I will have a mess!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments