Same here - WTF Microsoft.
Go to device manager - right click on video card - select properties - select rollback driver.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I started my PC today Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 7/25/2017 12:00:00 AM - 22.19.128.0 was installed by Windows Update. Since then, the maximum screen resolution available is 1280 * 1024 whereas it should be 1680 * 1050. See https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=rx+580 for a listing of this update.
This driver should not have been installed as my AMD Radeon HD 4350 GPU is not supported by native drivers in Windows 10: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Driver-Support-for-AMD-Radeon%E2%84%A2-HD-4000,-HD-3000,-HD-2000-and-older-Series.aspx
However, there appears to be no way to remove this update as when I click on the Uninstall updates link in Windows Update, the new driver isn't listed.
How do I remove this driver, go back to the existing driver (version 8.970.100.9001 according to the article above), and prevent the "update" from being installed again?
Thanks!
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Same here - WTF Microsoft.
Go to device manager - right click on video card - select properties - select rollback driver.
For some reason, that didn't work for me when Windows Update installed version 1709. It did not follow my wishes that no new drivers be installed.
If you have a system image on a back up drive from before the date that your problem started, you can install that, but you must block any future attempts for Windows Update to install Windows 10 version1709. That worked for me temporarily. It gives you the driver roll back opportunity for any Windows updates other than 1709.
The permanent fix, so far for me, is to do a clean install of version 1709 outside of Windows Update, by following the instructions here:
It leaves you with the display driver from 2015, and a fully updated version of Windows 10, but you need to reinstall all your programs, and all your files from backups.
The only thing you can do is block driver updates. Open Control Panel, select System, and Advanced system settings. Then select the Hardware tab and Device Installation settings change the option to No. This will affect all device drivers.
I installed the latest Windows 10 update on 11/27/17 and suddenly had the same issue with screen resolution. After viewing several YouTube videos (and following multiple suggestions that didn't resolve the issue), I uninstalled the update and rolled back the display driver and everything was fine. I then tried reinstalling the update, and the same thing happened. My monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080 and the max setting available was 1400x1050. After the update was installed I did not have the option of rolling back the display driver. I have uninstalled the Windows 10 update and am back to the correct display setting. My concern is that the Windows 10 update will try to automatically install again and I will be right back where I started with the display resolution issue.