This works ONLY if you are an admin user. Regular user cannot log off other users.
Windows 10 - Shutdown, but user stays logged in
When I shutdown Windows 10, (latest version, fully patched up to date 25-Oct-2017), I find that it shuts down without issue. However, when the PC is restarted, the last logged in user (who initiated the shut down) is still logged in.
I noticed this when I shutdown as User 1, then restarted the PC and logged in as User 2. When viewing the 'profiles' button at the top of the Start Menu, (which shows your user picture), it showed me that User 1 was still logged in. Furthermore, when I went to shut the computer down as User 2, it warned me that other users were logged in to this computer. I had to log out as User 2 and login as User 1 to shut down the computer.
The only way around this is to log out and then shut the PC down from the main login screen. All my users have complex passwords assigned and in all other aspects Windows 10 appears to be working correctly.
I assume this is a feature, but is there a switch or a registry hack that allows the shut down process to log off the current user, like Windows 7 used to?
Please can someone advise?
Many thanks
Paul B.
[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy]
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2018-05-17T13:58:44+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-04-22T20:40:26+00:00 The easiest way to sign out another user without having to restart is using Task Manager. Press CTRL/ALT/DEL and open Task Manager. Go to the Users tab. Right click on the user you want to sign out and click "Sign off".
-
Anonymous
2018-04-12T18:35:32+00:00 Go to Settings>> Accounts>> Sign-in options, set the radio button to OFF.
Let us know how it goes.
It works for me. Thanks.
-
Anonymous
2018-04-10T13:22:06+00:00 This happened to me after a repair install of Windows 10 1709 from an ISO file.
I can confirm that, as suggested by G.M.P. van Dam, turning off
“Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart”
under
Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options
will solve the issue (on a per-user basis). Good luck.
-
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more