Windows rollback loop

Anonymous
2018-03-20T18:32:10+00:00

After a windows 10 update, my ASUS X55U laptop remained in a rollback loop.  I have tried Bob Omb's suggestion in the Jan 16, 2018 thread by Martin Bar ie. run chkdsk c:/r/x (no bad clusters, usn journal verification) and sfc/scannow (Windows Resource Protection could not perform the required operation).  I do not have a boot disc or USB

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-20T17:51:38+00:00

    After a windows 10 update, my ASUS X55U laptop remained in a rollback loop.  I have tried Bob Omb's suggestion in the Jan 16, 2018 thread by Martin Bar ie. run chkdsk c:/r/x (no bad clusters, usn journal verification) and sfc/scannow (Windows Resource Protection could not perform the required operation).  I do not have a boot disc or USB

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-24T20:23:18+00:00

    Greg

    I created a Bootable USB and it was recognized, but it won't load.  I keep ending up at the keyboard layout screen. 

    Do I need to format my hard drive?  I have been able to extract my documents via a friend's linux USB and have those files on an external drive

    Barry

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T20:27:07+00:00

    Franklin

    Sorry for the cloudy message.  My ASUS laptop is locked in the rollback loop, so I am communicating via my Samsung tablet, which does not have a USB port.  Thus I don't know how to get an ISO into my laptop.

    I have received a response from Greg Cormac which may work so will try that now.  Thanks for your attention

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T19:55:23+00:00

    Hi Barry:

    Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry, but am not familiar with this scenario.

    We have two distinct platforms here.

    One is a Google Chrome Tablet, running the Chrome operating system.

    Second, is Microsoft Windows OS is designed for an INTEL/AMD architecture.

    Windows will really shine and be robust on an INTEL/AMD platform, where the same holds true for Google Chrome. You could, maybe, possibly, (I have not tried doing it), run Windows in a virtual sandbox or virtual machine environment. That will give you a taste and feel for what Windows can do.

    I know this may not be the best answer to your question. I apologize if it is not. However, it is the best that I can do for now, with the first-hand experiences I share.

    Best of luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-03-20T19:55:20+00:00

    Hi Barry. I'm Greg, an installation specialist and 8 year Windows MVP, here to help you.

    You should be able to download the ISO from the link below if the other methods to interrupt the boot loop in the first step don't work. If Media Creation tool won't install on the tablet to create bootable USB media, then you'll need to use another PC to do this.

    Here are steps to recover from failed Updates or Version Update install which causes Windows to fail to start:

    1. Try whichever method works here to get into Advanced Startup Options to run System Restore if this is a Windows Update, or Go Back to Old Version if this is a version update. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanc.... Easiest is to restart or force shutdown the PC 3 times.

    If you are able to access System Restore or Go Back and it fails, skip to step 3.

    1. If necessary create bootable installation media to access the repair options if not accessible by any other method: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m.... An alternate download site is here: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php. Using it Burn to DVD with Windows Image Burner or create bootable 8+gb flash stick installer using Rufus set to UEFI for GPT for a UEFI BIOS, or Legacy for MBR for a Legacy BIOS.

    Boot media by powering up the PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

    You may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup to turn off Fast Boot if it won't allow the Boot Menu key to interrupt starting Windows: https://www.mydigitallife.net/comprehensive-lis...

    Choose UEFI version of media if offered, browse to second screen to Repair Your Computer link, then Advanced Troubleshoot options to run System Restore to a point before the problem began, or choose More Options to Go Back to Old Version if this was a version Update.

    If it rolls back then you can hide the Windows Updates and Version Upgrade responsible until they mature by installing and running immediately the Hide Updates tool: https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent...

    1. If this fails try a Startup Repair, or go back to Troubleshoot Options on the previous screen to Reset your PC which will save your files while reinstalling Windows.
    2. If that fails you can use the booted media to do the Clean Install the latest version which should get you past all difficulties as it has hundreds of thousands of others who have followed the steps in this link and never come back to report another problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki... The link compiles the best possible install of Windows 10 that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given.

    There is a step to rescue files from the same bootable media: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Once you're back in Windows 10, you can block the problem Windows or Version Update using one of these methods: https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent...

    Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until it's resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments