Windows rollback loop

Anonymous
2018-03-20T18:32:10+00:00

After a windows 10 update, my ASUS X55U laptop remained in a rollback loop.  I have tried Bob Omb's suggestion in the Jan 16, 2018 thread by Martin Bar ie. run chkdsk c:/r/x (no bad clusters, usn journal verification) and sfc/scannow (Windows Resource Protection could not perform the required operation).  I do not have a boot disc or USB

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-24T09:51:35+00:00

    Hi Antdart

    i did this this morning to get out of the problem loop which it did. After Reset Computer though the update appears to have completed and i have lost all my programs/apps!!

    I’ve tried going into Settings, Update & Security, Recovery but there is no pption to Go back to previous version of Windows...

    Do you have any further ideas or advice? I just want the computer back to how it was yesterday.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-23T21:08:53+00:00

    In these kind of situations i usually remove the HDD from the PC and connect it to a SATA reader/USB cable to another PC. I copy all the data I need and then I make a clean installation/restore the original version of windows. It's not a very "clean method" but it has always worked. At least one gets to save all his stuff.

    Hope this can help someone save/recover his stuff.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-23T19:36:27+00:00

    Yesterday my laptop got stuck in a rollback loop after a failed update. No recovery option was working. I got out of the loop by selecting Windows 10 as my choice of OS for the boot. However, after that, I was stuck in the corrupt OS (no desktop, no function at all), with no way to access the recovery unit on my hard disk. I didn'n even manage to open the boot menu at startup. I have solved the problem after resetting the CMOS memory; to do this, follow these steps: 1) remove power supply and battery, 2) hold power button down for about a minute, 3) mount battery and start pc as usual. After that, Windows rollback started working properly at reboot, and all the recovery options were correctly available again. I have recovered the original Win10 installation without losing any data (but I lost apps). I think resetting CMOS memory will work also for directly getting out of the loop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-23T02:24:05+00:00

    I finally found the way to fix it and keep everything how it was before the bug. 

    Hold the power button until the computer turns off and then press the power button back on. Repeat that three times until you get a new page that lists a few options. The one you need is the Recovery Envirnment. Once there click into troubleshooting and then click Reset Computer. It will go through some stuff and then you computer will be how you left it before the update.

    Thankd heaps man this worked for me just did reset of my laptop its working eventho a lot of lenovo original apps are deleted dont know why

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-22T23:34:04+00:00

    Same here from Italy. I don't know what to do, I'm stuck in your same loop. 

     Is Microsoft ignoring us, or working on a solution? This is incredible! So much for updating Windows 10 successfully!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments