Burning mp3 files to CD using Windows Media Player

Anonymous
2017-12-27T15:33:16+00:00

I'm on Windows 7. I wanted to delete all the files from a RW-CD so that I could burn some different mp3 files onto it using Windows Media Player. I thought that the best way to do this would be to format the CD. I did this but when I tried to burn the mp3 files onto the CD using WMP it said 'First insert a blank disc', which I found puzzling because I thought that if you formatted a CD it would erase all material on it(?)

Anyway, I did then manage to erase the files using another method and I was then able to burn some mp3 files onto it. These took up about 59MB of space on the disk. But then when I dragged some more files to WMP and tried to burn them onto the disk it ejected the disk and told me to insert a blank disk. So it wouldn't let me add more files to the disk even though the capacity of the disk is 700MB and my files only took up 59MB. Can someone advise me on this please? Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T00:03:48+00:00

    Unfortunately, I spoke too soon ... Ric, if you're still out there!

    As I said, I was able to write to my CD and then add files to it. Unfortunately, I didn't test it properly!  I generally use VLC Media Player on my PC, although I've also got WMP on it. What I've found is:

    1. VLC shows all the tracks I've burned on the CD but when I come to play it, it just plays the same track all the time. I've even selected all the tracks and clicked 'Play', but whichever track I start at it will only keep on playing that track over and over.
    2. When I use WMP it doesn't show on screen all the tracks that I've burned; it only shows the ones that I burned using WMP. It doesn't show the tracks that I burned using the method shown to me (see above). It does, however, continue through the tracks and not just play the first one selected.
    3. When I tried to play the CD in a stand-alone CD player, I could see the CD was spinning but no sound was coming out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T00:34:37+00:00

    Hi - yes I'm around! I'll get back tomorrow at some point - VLC is usually reliable so all a bit odd!

    Cheers, R.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T01:37:11+00:00

    Ok, thanks Ric.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T13:51:51+00:00

    OK - it seemed from your description that the burn process worked OK... I'll run a test burn again (I lost the disc I made previously in the W7 debacle!) and see if I see any odd behaviour with VLC - I only have that on the old W7 machine and I don't use it for music - only video. I don't know if its performance has improved in recent years but I found there were stability issues with its music performance - notably inconsistencies in playback speed.

    I'll have a look at data discs in WMP while I'm at it - I think that may just be a view setting (there are so many!)

    The problem with the stand-alone player is interesting... what make and model is it? I'll see if I can find the spec... I'll get back later with some test results. - Regards, R.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T14:32:52+00:00

    Thanks again, Ric.

    The CD player is actually pretty old. It's German, a SilverCrest CD-Player with Radio KH 2328. I've still got the manual (more pamphlet), which doesn't say anything that I can see would be helpful. It's just occurred to me: with its being so old (could be 20 years?) would mp3 compatibility be built into it?

    Regarding the burning I did on the CD: I burned the tracks mostly singly or in some cases in threes or fours. But even when I've selected a track from a batch of three, only the first one has been played and replayed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments