Burning mp3 files to CD using Windows Media Player

Anonymous
2017-12-27T15:33:16+00:00

I'm on Windows 7. I wanted to delete all the files from a RW-CD so that I could burn some different mp3 files onto it using Windows Media Player. I thought that the best way to do this would be to format the CD. I did this but when I tried to burn the mp3 files onto the CD using WMP it said 'First insert a blank disc', which I found puzzling because I thought that if you formatted a CD it would erase all material on it(?)

Anyway, I did then manage to erase the files using another method and I was then able to burn some mp3 files onto it. These took up about 59MB of space on the disk. But then when I dragged some more files to WMP and tried to burn them onto the disk it ejected the disk and told me to insert a blank disk. So it wouldn't let me add more files to the disk even though the capacity of the disk is 700MB and my files only took up 59MB. Can someone advise me on this please? Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-27T18:00:05+00:00

    Ric, that's absolutely brilliant. Thank you so much. I haven't tried what you said yet and I have to go out shortly but I'll try what you suggest and get back to you on how I get on. Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-27T19:45:07+00:00

    A quick update - I overlooked the fact that you are using W7 - in theory there should not be much difference, but I ran into trouble when trying to burn this way on my old laptop. (The earlier test was done using my newer W10 model) I suspect that it is the machine rather than a Windows problem - but thought I'd better let you know! (two CD/RW discs tested: one rendered unusable! the second I was able to erase and re-use) I'm pretty certain this will just be the CD/DVD drive which was never very good anyway!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-28T00:55:37+00:00

    Hi Ric

    Just to say: you're a star! I followed your instructions and it worked a treat. I was able to write to my disk and also later to add more files to it.

    I must admit I'm still puzzled over the formatting command. I had always believed that when you format a disk absolutely everything is wiped from it but that didn't seem to be the case when I did it.

    Anyway, thank you again for all your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-28T02:42:34+00:00

    You're welcome - I have never used format with CDs - only DVD... CD-Rs should write straight from the pack (and can be similarly added to if burned like this) RWs - just erase. Anyway glad all's well!

    Cheers, Ric.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-28T09:30:26+00:00

    Thanks mate.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments