Burning mp3 files to CD using Windows Media Player

Anonymous
2017-12-27T15:33:16+00:00

I'm on Windows 7. I wanted to delete all the files from a RW-CD so that I could burn some different mp3 files onto it using Windows Media Player. I thought that the best way to do this would be to format the CD. I did this but when I tried to burn the mp3 files onto the CD using WMP it said 'First insert a blank disc', which I found puzzling because I thought that if you formatted a CD it would erase all material on it(?)

Anyway, I did then manage to erase the files using another method and I was then able to burn some mp3 files onto it. These took up about 59MB of space on the disk. But then when I dragged some more files to WMP and tried to burn them onto the disk it ejected the disk and told me to insert a blank disk. So it wouldn't let me add more files to the disk even though the capacity of the disk is 700MB and my files only took up 59MB. Can someone advise me on this please? Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T00:34:37+00:00

    Hi - yes I'm around! I'll get back tomorrow at some point - VLC is usually reliable so all a bit odd!

    Cheers, R.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T00:03:48+00:00

    Unfortunately, I spoke too soon ... Ric, if you're still out there!

    As I said, I was able to write to my CD and then add files to it. Unfortunately, I didn't test it properly!  I generally use VLC Media Player on my PC, although I've also got WMP on it. What I've found is:

    1. VLC shows all the tracks I've burned on the CD but when I come to play it, it just plays the same track all the time. I've even selected all the tracks and clicked 'Play', but whichever track I start at it will only keep on playing that track over and over.
    2. When I use WMP it doesn't show on screen all the tracks that I've burned; it only shows the ones that I burned using WMP. It doesn't show the tracks that I burned using the method shown to me (see above). It does, however, continue through the tracks and not just play the first one selected.
    3. When I tried to play the CD in a stand-alone CD player, I could see the CD was spinning but no sound was coming out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-28T09:30:26+00:00

    Thanks mate.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-28T02:42:34+00:00

    You're welcome - I have never used format with CDs - only DVD... CD-Rs should write straight from the pack (and can be similarly added to if burned like this) RWs - just erase. Anyway glad all's well!

    Cheers, Ric.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-28T00:55:37+00:00

    Hi Ric

    Just to say: you're a star! I followed your instructions and it worked a treat. I was able to write to my disk and also later to add more files to it.

    I must admit I'm still puzzled over the formatting command. I had always believed that when you format a disk absolutely everything is wiped from it but that didn't seem to be the case when I did it.

    Anyway, thank you again for all your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments