Burning mp3 files to CD using Windows Media Player

Anonymous
2017-12-27T15:33:16+00:00

I'm on Windows 7. I wanted to delete all the files from a RW-CD so that I could burn some different mp3 files onto it using Windows Media Player. I thought that the best way to do this would be to format the CD. I did this but when I tried to burn the mp3 files onto the CD using WMP it said 'First insert a blank disc', which I found puzzling because I thought that if you formatted a CD it would erase all material on it(?)

Anyway, I did then manage to erase the files using another method and I was then able to burn some mp3 files onto it. These took up about 59MB of space on the disk. But then when I dragged some more files to WMP and tried to burn them onto the disk it ejected the disk and told me to insert a blank disk. So it wouldn't let me add more files to the disk even though the capacity of the disk is 700MB and my files only took up 59MB. Can someone advise me on this please? Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T14:10:01+00:00

    Hi - Hope your New Year has got off to a flying start! A short time away from the PC always helps you think about things in a new way. Going all the way back to your post when you mentioned the disc would not play in your CD player begs the question, why do you need items on a CD for use with VLC media player? Really the only purpose of a disc is to be able to play it elsewhere, or use it for back-up copies and there are now much better options for the latter.

    It's a point I rather overlooked whilst delving into the detail!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T17:42:57+00:00

    Hi Ric

    Thanks for your message and happy new year to you too. I'll have a look at those links and see if I can improve my competence level!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T11:51:52+00:00

    Hi Zac and happy new year - I shall probably be away from the PC a bit over the next day or so. I'm getting 'not accessible' on those links unfortunately. I thought I'd put this link in about screenshots but I obviously forgot! See if it helps....

    Screenshots 

    iTunes for Windows will burn anything providing it is added to its library.*****The main difference is that the desired tracks have to be created as a playlist first which is a bit fiddly, but then files can be burned in three ways.... standard audio; mp3 or Data... I like the mp3 format which keeps the tracks in exactly the same order as listed whereas in WMP they tend to get ordered by track number so you get all the Tr 01sfollowed by all the Tr 02s etc.  Data is useful if you need a mix of file types (mp3/ m4a).

    * https://support.apple.com/kb/PH20507?locale=en_US

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T00:34:09+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T00:30:31+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments