Burning mp3 files to CD using Windows Media Player

Anonymous
2017-12-27T15:33:16+00:00

I'm on Windows 7. I wanted to delete all the files from a RW-CD so that I could burn some different mp3 files onto it using Windows Media Player. I thought that the best way to do this would be to format the CD. I did this but when I tried to burn the mp3 files onto the CD using WMP it said 'First insert a blank disc', which I found puzzling because I thought that if you formatted a CD it would erase all material on it(?)

Anyway, I did then manage to erase the files using another method and I was then able to burn some mp3 files onto it. These took up about 59MB of space on the disk. But then when I dragged some more files to WMP and tried to burn them onto the disk it ejected the disk and told me to insert a blank disk. So it wouldn't let me add more files to the disk even though the capacity of the disk is 700MB and my files only took up 59MB. Can someone advise me on this please? Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T17:08:40+00:00

    Thanks for the tips Ric. I'll keep you posted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T16:55:56+00:00

    My Galaxy Ace is probably of a similar vintage - if you have a spare 'Aux In' socket on your hi-fi you could connect from the smart phone headphone socket (always connect before powering up the hi-fi or speaker damage may result!) and run Spotify through your system. I have a Marantz streaming amp so I am lucky enough to be able to do all this wirelessly and the sound quality is virtually as good as CD - connecting via cable is not quite as good but significantly better than PC speakers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T16:23:31+00:00

    Wow, Ric - you're a mine of information! Thanks for that suggestion, and providing that link. I'll definitely look into it.

    I'm actually one of - what must be - a diminishing band of people who still hasn't got a smart phone, although I've just bought one on the net, which should arrive within the week. It's a Galaxy J5 (2017), a reasonable mid-range phone, I believe, so presumably if I subscribed to Spotify I'd be able to stream to that as well.

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T15:51:28+00:00

    Why not go for a streaming subscription? I use Spotify myself -you can even have it for free (the 'price' being having to put up with adverts - not good in the middle of a symphony!) I have the premium version which for the equivalent of a mid-price CD per month gives high quality streaming - the ability to connect via mobile devices and to download favourites for offline playback (not copying to disc etc. though). You'll also find ready-made playlists of classical music - either by instrument, composer or mood which is a great way of finding your way into what you are most likely to enjoy. There is a cheaper version ad-free but only available on the subscribed PC - really the premium version is best value.

    Here's a link to one of my (and many others') favourite pieces on Spotify...

    https://open.spotify.com/track/670U0nniGk8baapHScd1b2

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T15:17:42+00:00

    Hi Ric

    Dunno about a flying start to the new year, just now I might manage a standing start and try to focus! Anyway, your reply did get me thinking about what my original difficulties actually were! But, thinking about it, it wasn't particularly that I wanted to play the CD on my PC using VLC; what I was trying to do was create a CD which would play anywhere, whether my PC, my stand-alone player (although I realize now that that's out), or my car. So when I had problems playing the CD back on my PC, that as just a test bed, as it were, I just assumed I would have the same problems playing the CD anywhere else.

    Moving a step back even further, what I am wanting to do, actually, is educate myself a bit in the area of classical music, as I'm quite ignorant about it. But I didn't want to start out by buying a CD of Beethoven's 5th or whatever; I thought a good start would be to create myself a CD of favourite classical pieces, downloaded from the net, and start to get acquainted that way.

    To be honest, having encountered some of the problems I have had and which you have kindly tried to help me with I'm now thinking that it's probably going to be a whole less fraught to just buy some ready-made compilations, which I've been looking at lately.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments