Burning mp3 files to CD using Windows Media Player

Anonymous
2017-12-27T15:33:16+00:00

I'm on Windows 7. I wanted to delete all the files from a RW-CD so that I could burn some different mp3 files onto it using Windows Media Player. I thought that the best way to do this would be to format the CD. I did this but when I tried to burn the mp3 files onto the CD using WMP it said 'First insert a blank disc', which I found puzzling because I thought that if you formatted a CD it would erase all material on it(?)

Anyway, I did then manage to erase the files using another method and I was then able to burn some mp3 files onto it. These took up about 59MB of space on the disk. But then when I dragged some more files to WMP and tried to burn them onto the disk it ejected the disk and told me to insert a blank disk. So it wouldn't let me add more files to the disk even though the capacity of the disk is 700MB and my files only took up 59MB. Can someone advise me on this please? Thanks.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T21:27:21+00:00

    Thanks again Ric. But you've got me puzzled with your advice if you change the location of music files in 'explorer' you may corrupt the WMP library. Do you mean, even after the files have been burned to disc? Because I should have thought that once the files had been burned to disc then it wouldn't matter what you did to the original files in Explorer; WMP would just play the files that you'd written to disc. Or have I misunderstood what you mean?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T17:42:14+00:00

    Yes - here you are - I started with the Nutcracker then added the other two works in a second burn...

    (All Music view again)

    One thing to be careful about in W7 - if you change the location of music files in 'explorer' you may corrupt the WMP library - it would be best to sort anything you wish to burn by copying it to your documents folder - re-arrange it by folder - or just by track number - there... and your WMP library won't be affected. (Then use 'send to DVD/CD drive' from the amended version)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T17:31:23+00:00

    Once again, thanks for the tip, Ric. I'll try that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T17:20:07+00:00

    I was lucky enough to be spending my summers in France back in the noughties so all these mp3 discs were burned so that I could take almost my entire music library on about twenty CDs. I also bought a really cheap (then!) Philips DVD player and it played the mp3 discs beautifully (through a little Sony mini hifi) - sounded almost as good as my home set-up.

    I think if you put separate classical pieces in folders you should be able to achieve correct sequencing that way. I'll do that as part of my test burn - I have the RW disc at my disposal now so I'll crack on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-12-29T17:14:42+00:00

    Another point I'm not too sure about, Ric, is with regard to giving titles to the tracks or files, as you have done. Can that be done after the files have been burned to the CD or does it have to be done before the files are sent to the CD to be burned onto it? I imagine the latter(?)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments