I cannot login after Windows 10 update, says "password is incorrect"

Anonymous
2017-12-13T19:03:00+00:00

After update on my desktop PC, my login password stopped working. I've already reset my password for my Microsoft accounts but none of the new passwords work  either. Not a CAPS lock problem.

Opted to reinstall Windows, removed all apps while keeping my files...NO HELP.. Still have same login problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-06-08T18:31:05+00:00

    Try entering a new password you can't use the ones you've already used.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-08T18:27:11+00:00

    Tried that. Brand new password - it says "you can't use a password you've already used."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-08T18:20:27+00:00

    Just did a clean install and getting the exact same error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-06T15:27:13+00:00

    Have alternate means via Smartphone/another computer to check email and internet access.

    Click on 'sign-in options' below password login box. 

    Ensure 'Microsoft account password' is selected as login method (not 'face' or 'pin'). 

    Then press 'I forgot my password'. 

    This takes you to a blue screen to 'Recover your account'.

    Complete all fields correctly and continue. 

    Verify your Identity,

    Enter code.  

    Reset your password (remember it) and click next. 

    Enter new password at normal login and then in safe mode. 

    Hope it helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-06-06T14:42:46+00:00

    I had this same problem on my desktop Dell PC. I selected "Forgot Password" and it went to a different screen where it told me to wait as it was processing... It took a long time, so I manually restarted the computer by holding onto the power button on my PC. Waited & restarted the PC, same problem. Repeat the cold restart 3 times, then my old password worked again!

    Happy it was resolved for me but unhappy about this Windows 10 update bug. Had I been in a rush to get something done on my PC, I'd be in serious trouble. I waited until June (about 1 month) to update. Next update, I'll wait it out at least 3 month so the bugs can hopefully be fixed...

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments