I cannot login after Windows 10 update, says "password is incorrect"

Anonymous
2017-12-13T19:03:00+00:00

After update on my desktop PC, my login password stopped working. I've already reset my password for my Microsoft accounts but none of the new passwords work  either. Not a CAPS lock problem.

Opted to reinstall Windows, removed all apps while keeping my files...NO HELP.. Still have same login problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-29T08:12:51+00:00

    I have, essentially, the same problem, but only on one of my two PCs that have (as far as I know) the same account.

    Whenever there's an update, I find that the password I've set up is 'incorrect'.  Trying to then go via 'Forgot Password' fails, as it says it 'can't get through just now', no matter how long you wait.

    So I do a push-button reset on the PC.  I can then sign in with my known password, but it tells me that it has reverted to the previous version of Win10. That password works fine, until it does the update again, which it tries to do quite soon after, as you would expect because the new update has been uninstalled. Then the same problem starts again.

    While still in the 'previous version' I successfully used the known password to uncheck the setting that requires a password to log in  -  this PC is at home and only used by me, so I really don't need a Microsoft password-protected log-in. But after the next update, it was as if that setting was ignored, and it asks for the password. Hitting Enter (ie no password) has no effect, and the known password is 'incorrect', yet again.

    None of this occurs on my other PC, where I've successfully cancelled the need for a password.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-28T04:43:00+00:00

    Be careful about the keyboard language config.

    My wife changed the keyboard language and I did not notice so the password always wrong. Until click the 'show password' button I find the issue, click the button in the bottom right to change keyboard language and able to login again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-12T13:39:36+00:00

    Usually, keyboard error is a primary source of this problem. Besides the caps lock, there can be a num lock on. The keyboard could have hardware and configuration issues.

    Use the onscreen keyboard instead of the usual hardware. You can activate it by clicking on the Ease of Access icon on the login screen.   Ease of Access > Onscreen Keyboard is the way to go.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-08-03T20:43:06+00:00

    Please take a look at Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

    instructions at Lifewire

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments