I cannot login after Windows 10 update, says "password is incorrect"

Anonymous
2017-12-13T19:03:00+00:00

After update on my desktop PC, my login password stopped working. I've already reset my password for my Microsoft accounts but none of the new passwords work  either. Not a CAPS lock problem.

Opted to reinstall Windows, removed all apps while keeping my files...NO HELP.. Still have same login problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-28T04:43:00+00:00

    Be careful about the keyboard language config.

    My wife changed the keyboard language and I did not notice so the password always wrong. Until click the 'show password' button I find the issue, click the button in the bottom right to change keyboard language and able to login again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-03T20:43:06+00:00

    Please take a look at Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

    instructions at Lifewire

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-14T12:31:19+00:00

    Try changing Region at install setup or in settings so that your keyboard matches your Region i.e. English (US). 

    Otherwise if you were to include symbols in your password like @ or # you'll likely be typing " instead of @ and £ instead of # etc if Region is set to English (UK) for example. This would give you an incorrect password even though you are entering what you think is correct according to your specific keyboard shipped with your PC. You can test this by holding shift plus 1,2,3, and so on in cortana search bar to see if the keys indeed match what is on screen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-07-14T00:23:30+00:00

    Eventually i had to talk to Microsoft and they were really helpful, but i had to start from scratch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-07-11T06:35:34+00:00

    I have the same problem. I was having troubles with the computer, so reset my system. When I went to restart, I couldn't log back in - was getting a message saying the password was incorrect. I reset my password, and same thing. Did that three times. I can't force a restart because I don't see the Power/Restart button on the home screen. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't do anything. What now?  

    I also got the same problem excepet that I have a guest account and the password is working for it . Tell me if you find a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments