I cannot login after Windows 10 update, says "password is incorrect"

Anonymous
2017-12-13T19:03:00+00:00

After update on my desktop PC, my login password stopped working. I've already reset my password for my Microsoft accounts but none of the new passwords work  either. Not a CAPS lock problem.

Opted to reinstall Windows, removed all apps while keeping my files...NO HELP.. Still have same login problem.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

53 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-18T04:39:01+00:00

    Has anybody had any luck with a solution to this annoying problem. I have been trying for two days and still nothing to help except using the computer as a boat anchor now..... sooooo over it, help please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-06T14:42:46+00:00

    I had this same problem on my desktop Dell PC. I selected "Forgot Password" and it went to a different screen where it told me to wait as it was processing... It took a long time, so I manually restarted the computer by holding onto the power button on my PC. Waited & restarted the PC, same problem. Repeat the cold restart 3 times, then my old password worked again!

    Happy it was resolved for me but unhappy about this Windows 10 update bug. Had I been in a rush to get something done on my PC, I'd be in serious trouble. I waited until June (about 1 month) to update. Next update, I'll wait it out at least 3 month so the bugs can hopefully be fixed...

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-28T08:11:00+00:00

    My problem is that after an update Windows tries to log me in with a Microsoft key. I have always logged in with a local key but this does not work anymore. After following a lot of threads on various forums I finally gave up and started from scratch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-28T08:00:36+00:00

    Thank you for mentioning the keyboard.  I tried changing my password a few times unsuccessfully.  I then pressed the 'show' button when typing in the new password and noticed that one key typed a different character in the box for changing the password to that typed when inputting the password in the log in screen.  I had made no adjustments to the keyboard at any time.  I used the virtual keyboard to type in the new password and then had no trouble logging in using my normal keyboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments