Mail Icon missing in Windows 10 Control Panel

Anonymous
2017-12-20T11:32:19+00:00

Hi MSFT,

I am using Office 365 pro plus downloaded from portal.office.com. And I suddenly lost mail icon in my Windows10 Control panel.

I did quick/online repair, reinstalled office 2016, nothing worked.  I don't have any office14 or office15 installed

MLCFG32.CPL is under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16

I ran the command, but mail icon does not show up either.

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\MLCFG32.CPL"

My office is the latest Version 1712, see the screenshot below. Any suggestions?

[Moved from:Office/Outlook/Windows 10/Office 2016]

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-19T05:29:40+00:00

    I have a workaround for this. You can try double click MLCFG32.CPL under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16 if you have it.

    I really hope Microsoft could solve this issue ASAP!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-22T14:33:30+00:00

    Hello EvaYu,

    Thank you for the tip!  However, I don't have that .MPL file, nor is there even a Microsoft Office folder under either Program Files folder.

    I ended up calling Dell, because I was also unable to get Office 2016 to activate.   They were telling me that Office 2016 has to be tied to the Microsoft account that I used to order the system with... but I didn't use a Microsoft account to order it.   Long story short, after about 4 hours, they got Office reinstalled and activated.

    However, I still don't have the control panel applet.   What I did notice is that all of the Office executables for Outlook, Word, etc. are in a subfolder of the user's profile directory -

    AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps/Microsoft.Office.Desk_<random letters and number>

    I have never seen this before.   Is this something new with Office, or, is this a Dell thing now?

    I gather that if we ever remove this user's profile from Windows, it will remove Office as well.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-23T19:12:00+00:00

    I have the same issue with 3 Dell laptops running Windows 10 Pro. Office 2016 is downloaded from portla.office.com and I'm trying to configure Outlook 2016 for an on-premise Exchange 2016 server.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-24T20:27:18+00:00

    Hi Erin,

    For us to have a better understanding about your concern, we would like to know if you received any error message when trying to configure your Outlook 2016. Also, are you have the same issue with the missing Mail icon in your Control Panel?

    We will be waiting for your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-29T20:24:53+00:00

    I have the exact same issue.  Brand new fresh-out-of-the-box Dell OptiPlex 7050 PC, Dell "OEM" Microsoft Office Home and Business 2016 installation.  There is no "Mail" icon in Control Panel, nor is Office 2016 even listed on the Programs and Features/Remove list.

    It's like Dell's shipping half-baked Office installs with these latest systems.  Outlook just gets some bogus "can't find that user" type error when launching and entering verified-correct e-mail credentials for Office 365.  Can't set up the mail account manually because there's no mail icon in Control Panel.  Can't uninstall because there's no Office H&B listed in Control Panel.

    Looks like Dell just screwed up all things Office.  I'm going to just try to log in directly to Office.com/Account and see if I can manually download/install from there.

    -Dan

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments