Mail Icon missing in Windows 10 Control Panel

Anonymous
2017-12-20T11:32:19+00:00

Hi MSFT,

I am using Office 365 pro plus downloaded from portal.office.com. And I suddenly lost mail icon in my Windows10 Control panel.

I did quick/online repair, reinstalled office 2016, nothing worked.  I don't have any office14 or office15 installed

MLCFG32.CPL is under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16

I ran the command, but mail icon does not show up either.

rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\MLCFG32.CPL"

My office is the latest Version 1712, see the screenshot below. Any suggestions?

[Moved from:Office/Outlook/Windows 10/Office 2016]

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-29T00:11:19+00:00

    PROBLEM: Installed Office 365 from MS Store... Lost Mail Setup from Control Panel.

    SOLUTION: Uninstall Office 365 Applications, ALL OF THEM, 1 @ a time.

    Download Office 365 (me - 64 bit version). Run off-line Installer for 64-bit version. Install Outlook. Mail reappears - Create mail profiles.  paraphrase Borat, Big success.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-09T16:21:12+00:00

    I did that a few times with no change the Mail icon was still missing I even used iOBit uninstaller - removed registry settings but still no mail icon then I searched the start menu and I saw My Office --- which is the Office Dell sends out with their PC's usually (always) i have to uninstall that version before i can even install Office 365 Pro 2016 which I did on my laptop about a year and a half ago --- but after a big Office update recently and a big update of Win 10 I started having all these issues with Outlook not starting or only starting in safe mode......................  

     So I right clicked the My Office icon on the start menu and i chose uninstall (which usually takes me to Control Panel to uninstall) but this time it just removed that icon  then I went to see if it somehow it returned to my pc after these updates in add remove programs (it did not) ..................... anyway after removing that icon Outlook started to work normally the Mail icon returned to control panel and my headache is still kicking.................

    until someone can create an OS that is not iOS we are stuck with MS who obviously knows this so they just do whatever when ever and there is nothing that can be done but do what we are doing here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-07T16:29:05+00:00

    IF you can open Outlook. 

    My profile was so corrupt, it took almost 2 hours to open in SAFE MODE.

    NEVER again will I buy workstations with Office pre-loaded from Dell or anyone else.

    The hours and hours of frustration/anger/loss of productivity is not worth even $100 savings per PC.... honestly, the savings is virtually zero.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-30T23:23:38+00:00

    No.. that's not the entire solution.  There are applications (like QuickBooks 2018 Pro) that are looking for the mail profile as managed by the control panel mail app.  Without that configuration, QuickBooks can't find it.  Sure, you can add and manage accounts.. but old (broken, in my opinion) apps still don't work properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-13T23:35:40+00:00

    I don't believe this is a Dell problem.  This is caused by Microsoft changing the rules of play... 

    It used to be that Programs were installed to Program Files....

    In Microsoft's new subscription based pay-as-you go business model, programs need to be changed so that they have control over their income.  So foreign companies cannot steal their intellectual property.  We as users & IT people are all in for a rocky road.

    There are a few posts in this thread that are helpful now but may not be in the future as software progresses. 

    OEM Office comes with no product key.  You have to launch the pre-installed office that ships with your PC to the be able to login to the office live account and obtain your product key, but more importantly, download your installer.

    Then when you run your installer it will fully install the desktop apps and create the Program Files\Microsoft Office folders and add the mail control panel application so you can manage your profiles.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments